US seizes Android app piracy sites in copyright crackdown

yaz96

Baby, It's Cold Outside
Original poster
Dec 22, 2005
Front Range, Colorado
The US authorities have blocked access to three websites offering pirated copies of Android apps.

The Department of Justice said it was the "first time website domains involving cell phone app marketplaces have been seized".

The sites involved were applanet.net, appbucket.net and snappzmarket.com.

Their pages now display a FBI warning that first-time offenders involved in copyright infringement face up to five years in jail.

"The theft of intellectual property, particularly within the cyber-arena, is a growing problem and one that cannot be ignored by the US government's law enforcement community," said the FBI in a statement.

"These thefts cost companies millions of dollars and can even inhibit the development and implementation of new ideas and applications."

more -

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19347543

I didn't even know these kind of places existed. Did you? Warez for phones, I guess.

There is a lot of stuff out there. I stick to foreign TV shows that don't get shown or are not made available here, but its crazy what also can be found out there.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using SatelliteGuys

A number of developers have come out about the fact that it's very easy to pirate Android apps, and thus less profitable for them to develop for the platform. I'll admit that when it comes to my computer that my hard drive is not what I would call 100% kosher, but for some reason I don't dare touch pirated Android apps. I think I get freaked out about the risk of some trojan or malware being included with these pirated apps being installed. It's harder to guarantee the safety of an app on a phone than a computer IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts