USB connected External Hard Drive Connected To Hopper - QUESTION

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

nikunjbhakta

Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
United States
Hopefully someone can answer this question:

If a USB External Hard Drive is connected to the Hopper, at the same time is a Network Attached Storage (NAS).

Can the contents (Home Movies or other backed up movies) be watched through the Hopper system? Will it travel to the Joey's as well?

If possible, what file format do the movies have to be in for it be viewed?

Thanks in advance.

When you connect a USB storage device into the Hopper, it gets formatted so that the Hopper can transfer files onto it if it isn't formatted already by your prior ViP DVR (except 211). I've never owned a NAS hard drive but if the software that makes it a NAS isn't somehow protected from being overwritten. The Hopper is going to wipe it out. At this time, you can't play back media that is stored on the USB drive. Just shows that you transfer off the Hopper. You'll want to use the Home Media option to stream those Home Movies, pictures, and music stored on another device in your home. The USB option is solely for playing back your recorded programs from your old ViP DVR (except DVR-converted 211) that your transferred to it or for backing up recordings made on the Hopper.

If your NAS is DLNA compatible you will see your files. In the DLNA thread you can read about it further. I am able to see 720p mkv files. Keep in mind DLNA does not let you rewind or fast forward. You are better off getting a Boxee Box or a Roku with Plex to see and control almost very file type available. I use the Dish receiver for music and photos, but not video.

I had to get the hooper swapped out due t a bad drive. As mentioned above the USB hard drive gets auto formatted to Dish compatible system so your NAS would be wiped. I recorder form my old hopper, and now on the new hopper I can access the files. This includes the Joey's. I actually get a drop down form the DVR section so I can choose between "on my hopper" and external device". Pretty sweet. I decided to leave the USB drive attached and now I have a 2 TB user controlled hopper.

So can I view recordings I made with my older receivers on the hopper via the USB? The guy who installed my hopper said there was no way for me to view my old recordings after I switched to hopper!!

If your receiver was an HD dvr model (612, 622, 722, or 922), then yes. If it was with a 211/411 model, then no.
But you would have had to manually transfer them from your old receiver to the external hard drive prior to upgrading and activating your hopper.

I did transfer most of my content to USB drive knowing I was getting new equipment but then the install tech told me I was out of luck to view it? My ani receiver was a 722 I think!

You're not out of luck, the install tech is wrong. I went from a 722 to a Hopper with an EHD and all was well....

You guys rock!! It worked great, I was so upset to lose all my great recordings and now I have them all back! Thanks!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)