USB Digital OTA Tuner in Dish Store

MT2 was a dual tuner, so to replace it at a comparable price the USB tuner needs to be 1/2 of the MT2.

I am sure the price will go down to free in markets where CBS gets pulled during or after that court case.

This might be a dumb question but for those of you who used the OTA module in the past, does this need to be connected to an antenna of any type or does it work self contained?

This might be a dumb question but for those of you who used the OTA module in the past, does this need to be connected to an antenna of any type or does it work self contained?

You still need an antenna (mine is in the attic). The MT2 was very sensitive to multipath, so I used a directional and pointed in between all my stations. It worked very well.

I'm going to do my part by going to that page and picking on the tuner several times a say so that Dish can see all the web hits.

I really hope this is released in next week or two. My vip722 is dying. I have to reset it every day at this point. I don't want to replace it with another 722 but I also don't want to upgrade to hopper without OTA. Is it likely that the OTA unit will be ready in next 2 weeks- or is it more like 2 months?

I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but the manual for the OTA adapter is also available in the manuals section...

http://www.mydish.com/support/FileStream.ashx?ID=2731

Now why in heck does scanning channels disrupt operation of "the other TV"? :(

This manual mentions one thing that we knew already for technical reasons: no PTAT for OTA. What I'd like to know is whether autohop will work. Seems to me that it should.

This manual mentions one thing that we knew already for technical reasons: no PTAT for OTA. What I'd like to know is whether autohop will work. Seems to me that it should.
Probably not since the two features are tied together. A recording that would be covered under PTAT, but recorded with that feature disabled, does not AutoHop. I don't see how an OTA recording would be any different.

stupid question ..

Instead of connecting an OTA can you connect cable TV? What I mean by that is that our local cable company (Charter) provides basic TV service for all internet only customers. So I'm curious if the system will scan and detect cable channels.

stupid question ..

Instead of connecting an OTA can you connect cable TV? What I mean by that is that our local cable company (Charter) provides basic TV service for all internet only customers. So I'm curious if the system will scan and detect cable channels.

Cable uses QAM and that will not work for an ATSC tuner.....

Bobby is correct. I've tried it as well and it didn't detect anything.

I've thought about a QAM-to-ATSC modulator but I think they are very, very expensive, heh. ($1000 - $5000?)

DustoMan said:
Probably not since the two features are tied together. A recording that would be covered under PTAT, but recorded with that feature disabled, does not AutoHop. I don't see how an OTA recording would be any different.

I'm actually not so sure about this. Earlier in the year, a network program I normally watch was pre-empted by a baseball game. I set it to record on the sister, non big four local network manually. To my surprise, autohop was available on it the next day. So, my theory is that, as long as PTAT is enabled, autohop is determined by the show and not necessarily the channel it was recorded from. Hence why I'm thinking it might work with OTA recordings. Add in the the 722K reportedly will be able to do autohop without PTAT and I'm inclined to say maybe rather than unlikely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts