USB-OTA Tuner Question

Rizon216

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Virginia
I recently signed up with Dish and got a Hopper, and would like to possibly add a USB-OTA tuner adapter, but had a couple questions about it.

Currently I get 7 local channels, CBS (7), NBC (10), ABC (13), PBS (15), CW (21), FOX (27), and ION (38). The ION local channel is just a local rebroadcast of ION that is available on channel 216. I am in Floyd, VA and am in the Roanoke, VA market.

I believe I am too far away to get most of the above stations, but I used to be able to pick up a couple from a neighboring market which I would like to get, as well as have the chance of getting subchannels (i.e., 7.2 MyNetworkTV). The last time I used OTA was 3-4 years ago, so I'm not sure what I would be able to pick up now.

In case I do get any of the above stations, how does the Hopper decide which version to use? For channels I get both on Dish and via OTA, I would prefer to use the version sent via Dish, as I know my OTA signal will likely be weak and drop out often for most of the above stations.

Also, when recording, would I be able to record 4 shows at once (assuming 3 via Dish + 1 OTA)?

Go to AntennaWeb.ORG and fill out the information there, it will tell you what you should be able to pick up. It will even give you suggestions for antennas so you can pick up those weak stations better.

The Hopper will display all the channels that it sees when it does its setup screen.

Thanks - it looks like I should get channel 6.1 & 6.2 (from Bluefield, WV) and 15.1, 15.2, and 15.3 (from Roanoke, VA).

Based on what my antenna looks like & the descriptions on AntennaWeb, it should be able to pick both of them up. If not I am not opposed to getting a new antenna.

I currently receive 15 through Dish - would the Hopper display 15, 15.1, 15.2, and 15.3 in the guide?

Thanks - it looks like I should get channel 6.1 & 6.2 (from Bluefield, WV) and 15.1, 15.2, and 15.3 (from Roanoke, VA).

Based on what my antenna looks like & the descriptions on AntennaWeb, it should be able to pick both of them up. If not I am not opposed to getting a new antenna.

I currently receive 15 through Dish - would the Hopper display 15, 15.1, 15.2, and 15.3 in the guide?

It should as long as you have signal for those channels via OTA. I get channel 4,4-1and4-2. 4.1 has the same EPG info as 4 but 4.2 only displays the call letters in the guide, no real ota info. Good thing for manual timers.

Yes. The satellite equivalent would be 15.0, and you can record any of them (assuming decent reception). Yes, you could record 4 shows at once. Also note that the Hopper has the Prime Time Any Time feature that records the big 4 broadcast stations simultaneously using only one tuner. So, in principle, if you are a big fan of locals, you could record 7 channels at once.

Dish depot had plenty of the ota modules last week try them out that's where I got mine and my install was this past Saturday and the ota works awesome

rizon216 said:
In case I do get any of the above stations, how does the Hopper decide which version to use? For channels I get both on Dish and via OTA, I would prefer to use the version sent via Dish, as I know my OTA signal will likely be weak and drop out often for most of the above stations.

Just incase it wasn't explictly answered. Usually on Dish equipment, both OTA and SAT channels are displayed in the guide together. So you may see CBS 7-00 in the guide (Sat) and CBS 7-01 (OTA) right next to each other as two distinct channels. You then just choose which one you want to tune into to watch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)