usb ota tuner when traveling?

macthecow

Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Recently had dish hopper joey system installed in my house in Florida. I travel 3 or 4 month in the summer and installer showed me how to move equipment to my RV and I travel into Buffalo NY area and Milwaukee Wisc area.

I presently get local channels from Ft Myers Fl and am assuming these channels are spot beamed and I will not be able to receive them in these areas.

If I purchase the OTA usb tuner will I be able to get Bufrfalo or Milwaukee locals and record primetime channels?

thanks
macthecow

The OTA adapter will pick up whatever local channels are available in the area. If you want to check ahead of time to see what you can receive in a given area check out www.antennaweb.org. All you have to do is enter an address and you can see what is broadcast in that area, and what type of antenna you would need to pick up the signal.

You can also call Dish and tell them where you are, and they can switch your locals to the new area. Thereafter, PTAT should work just as it does in Florida.

But to my understanding it will only work if your dish is pointed at the orbital where the HD locals come from in that area correct? The OTA dongle will add a tuner and you can record the local channels that it picks up after running the scan. If your asking can the adapter record all of the BIG4 networks at once only using one tuner, no it will not nor will anything recorded OTA have auto hop.

But to my understanding it will only work if your dish is pointed at the orbital where the HD locals come from in that area correct? The OTA dongle will add a tuner and you can record the local channels that it picks up after running the scan. If your asking can the adapter record all of the BIG4 networks at once only using one tuner, no it will not nor will anything recorded OTA have auto hop.

If he wanted sat locals, he would need a dish pointed at the correct orbitals. Or use n ota dongle/antenna like Mike said.

But to my understanding it will only work if your dish is pointed at the orbital where the HD locals come from in that area correct?
Wherever you are, you're in the beam for the corresponding local channels. You won't likely be able to receive channels from an area other than where you're physically located but it sounds like you know that.

You should certainly practice with your mobile setup before you leave so you don't have to get critical setup help while on the road.

If I purchase the OTA usb tuner will I be able to get Bufrfalo or Milwaukee locals and record primetime channels?

In answer to your original question, yes, you will be able to record one channel of the OTA signal at a time using the OTA dongle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)