USB powered 3.5 enclosure

I have experience with USB powered devices (devices that run only on the power supplied by the USB connection) for use with PC's. I don't think these devices would work with the 622. Furthermore. I don't believe the available power from a USB port would be sufficient to power a hard drive especially if the enclosure contains a cooling fan.

When i don't have my computer on i use my 622 to charge some of my devices through the USB. It works just the same as my computer. I have yet to use a USB powered enclosure with it though

Really depends on the device. Some USB powered ext 2.5" drives I have tried work with a single USB connection... (WD Passport for example).. Others I have tried require a double USB connection to power them. Some work on powered Hubs, some don't.. I have even seen some work on the rear USB connections on the computer and not on the front ones.

It doesn't make alot of sense to get anything less than 500gb for the 622 external HD feature since they are under $100 now, since you get 5-10gb/hour storage rates.

Plus alot of the 2.5 drives are 5400rpm, have been reported to not function well with the 622, since they probably only have a 2mb buffer as well.

Never seen a 3.5 usb powered enclosure. Some 2.5's for laptops...that do not work for 622/722 without AC power.

You never will see a USB buss powered 3.5" enclosure. The power requirement for a 3.5" drive is 12V. The power supplied by the USB buss is 5V. Most low-powered 2.5" drives will work off just the buss supplied power. Usually 4200-RPM and some 5400-RPM model drives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)