Usb??

LoKoLoGaN

Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
Ok im totally new at this site and I was just wondering what the USB port is for on the back of my DVR 522 System?

From what I understand its not used for anything right now. Some people have tried plugging in USB keyboards but not with any success.

I've heard that it may be used in the future for transferring pictures and MP3 music files to the HD, but I haven't read anything official on that.

It's there so that people see it (and get their hopes of using an external, USB hard drive) and then post questions about it on websites.... :)

hall said:
It's there so that people see it (and get their hopes of using an external, USB hard drive) and then post questions about it on websites.... :)
I Never hoped to use an external hard drive. I was wondering why the hell it was there because to me I think it is frigin pointless.

Pointless ?? Not at all.... The 522 is a PC. Having a USB connection built into the motherboard probably affected the cost of the board very little plus USB is sooooo versatile. It could be used for a keyboard or mouse, an external HDD, or anything that's USB-enabled.

Isn't there plans for turning the 522 into a "media center", among other things, being able to *upload* MP3s, JPEGs, etc to the hard drive ??

The USB port is only for SW loading at factory level.
Much quicker than the old dataports in the old models.
Nope, no plans to have it as a media box.

Good God!
They cant even make the box function as a DVR and you all expect this...

I hope everyone believes in Miracles! :)

hollownail said:
Apparently you didn't read Scott's posts from Team Summit some time back. Dish had a concept there where you could play MP3's loaded to the 522's hard drive, probably from a USB drive plugged into the rear port. Don't know if it's gonna happen, but certainly a good idea...

There are also "online" and "message" LED locations on the 522 front panel circuit board though no actual LEDs are soldered to the board, just another feature that got into the design but didn't make it to the production phase.

hollownail said:
I find it very hard to believe that they load these things via USB. Anyone with brains would just clone the HDDs - just like the big box PC makers do. Then again, this IS E* we're talking about.

As for your other statement, yeah - they've announced some kind of media box plans. Don't know if they're for the 522, tho. Just like E* - they still haven't gotten their primary business figured out and they're gonna be trying something new again.

Maybe they'd be wise to send their programmers to some basic computer classes first.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts