USDTV Receiver

techpuppy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
I just got a used USDTV receiver on ebay. When I received the package it stated that a subscription to the USDTV channels was required to watch ANY channels, including OTA. This receiver had been used in the Salt Lake City market and had been activated there.

When I hooked up the receiver and turned it on it said that the USDTV channel was off the air (we don't have their service here). I did a channel scan anyway and it found the local HD stations with no problem. I can watch the local OTA channels. There is no program guide or detailed channel information available. However the receiver still shows all of the Salt Lake City and USDTV channels. Everytime I scroll through the channels I get messages that K___ is off the air. I would like to delete the extraneous channels but am concerned that will mess up the receiver's authorization and make it useless. Has anyone deleted channels on a previously activated receiver and still been able to watch local OTA? Thanks!

That's pretty interesting. I think the site here should give a subgroup in the HD area (like voom)

if it's like voom then chances are it might have a menu option somewhere to delete a channel...try to find a manual online...

usdtv box

Call usdtv
they will send you a usb flash drive to update the firmware in that box so it will only function as a ota set top box with no cable or salt lake ota channels listed in the guide. You will have to send back the usb chip in the included postage prepaid mailer.:confused: :confused:

Thank you!

Thanks for the information! I didn't realize that USDTV had some receivers that required activation so when I opened the package I was afraid I'd paid for something useless to me.

We have a brief power failure today. When the receiver came back on the program guide and detail became available on the local channels. It appears that all of the OTA features on the receiver are working.

I have usdtv and really like it for the price and the channels I get. as far as the ota features you should reboot or turn off your unit at night so the features can update. that is what usdtv stated to us, do not know if it is true or not.

OTA receiver updates only work in areas where you have the USDTV channels. Based on what I've read so far USDTV is in bankruptcy pending new ownership. At the moment they don't seem particularly interested in providing any support to non-USDTV subscribers. On the bright side the receiver works great for OTA channels.

I don't want to get into moderators, but I don't doubt if there is some sort of underground fix for that (ie: way to load firmware into box via computer). Those boxes are pretty popular since they are/used to be sold at WalMart. Might try Googling it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)