Use 61.5 instead of 129

Oceangrace24

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
Lexington, SC
I have 2 dishes, the original dish uses 110, 119, and 129.
Once the Columbia SC HD locals came online last year, they put in a second dish to pick up 61.5.
Am I correct in my understanding that everything that was on 129 is now mirrored on 61.5 along with my HD locals?
Is there a way that I can get my dish to pick up the channels that are on both the 129 and the 61.5 only from the 61.5, since it's signal is much better?

Disconnect the LNB that points to 129' (or cover it with aluminum foil). If you face the "open" side of the dish, I suspect it's the one on the left. If it's not, it's the one on the right. It is NOT the one in the middle... :D Then run a Check Switch so that it drops that feed. That's pretty much it.

IT really makes no difference. IF your locals are on 61.5 , they will be there when you tune to them. The national hd channels will pull from either 61.5 or 129 or even both. The 129 sat is much stronger than the older echostar 5 sat that was there before the replacement sat was launched. I have both in my setup and I had locals on both 129 and 61.5 and sometimes I got them off of one sat or the other. IT made no difference in reception or recordings on either locals or national hd channels.

The national hd channels will pull from either 61.5 or 129 or even both.
Are you sure about that ? I thought others had looked into this and determined that for whatever reason, if a channel was available on both 61.5 and 129', they'd always pick up the 129' version. Almost as if the receiver software or maybe the switch software gave it preference.

I agree with that. When I had a 1000.2 and a 500 aimed at 61.5 for locals it almost always locked on 129 for HD channels (NOT the locals, of course). For me that was a BAD thing in the summer because of trees. Yes, 129 has much better strength---IF you have good LOS. Mine was great in the winter when the trees were bare, no good in Spring/Summer. I now have Eastern Arc/1000.4--problem solved. Lower ss but it's reliable, even in downpours.:)

Ed

Are you sure about that ? I thought others had looked into this and determined that for whatever reason, if a channel was available on both 61.5 and 129', they'd always pick up the 129' version. Almost as if the receiver software or maybe the switch software gave it preference.

I have the eastern arc 1000.4 sat dish with a 1000.2 sat dish with an lnb adapter for single or dual lnb for just 129 plugged into it. Sometimes I will get national hd off of 61.5 and sometimes I get it off of 129. My 129 sat is much more powerful than the 61.5 sat is off of the eastern arc dish. There is no rhyme or reason to why it is fikel. I had Beaumont locals when I wrote the earlier post and they off of either 61.5 or 129 sat. I now have Houston locals again and I do seem to notice that after watching my Houston locals( now off of 61.5 ), that when I turn to a national hd channel , it is off of 61.5 sat. If I turn from a national hd channel off of 61.5 to another hd channel , sometimes it goes to one off of 129 sat. It happens all the time and I can not always predict which sat it will go to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts