Use your 921 with a SA TIVO

Joe Q

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2004
Discovered that my SA TIVO will change channels on the 921 from the IR blaster on the TIVO.

Why care?

Lots of pluses/reasons:

My 5000 only has 61.5 connected and the 921 uses up both sat connections so I have no more dishes or receivers to feed the TIVO unless I put up a third dish and pay extra for a third receiver.

BIG PLUS - this allows me to augment the 921 by ofloading the SD programming to the TIVO instead of eating up the 250 GB disk on the 921.
My TIVO is one that I upgraded 2 years ago with a second disk.

PLUS you get to use the TIVO's better 'program finder' capability.

I am in the middle of making a more permanent cabling setup from the TIVO to the 921 so I'll have more to report later.
Don't yet know whuch tuner on the 921 the TIVO is controlling.

Joe

Joe Q said:
Discovered that my SA TIVO will change channels on the 921 from the IR blaster on the TIVO.

Why care?

Lots of pluses/reasons:

My 5000 only has 61.5 connected and the 921 uses up both sat connections so I have no more dishes or receivers to feed the TIVO unless I put up a third dish and pay extra for a third receiver.

BIG PLUS - this allows me to augment the 921 by ofloading the SD programming to the TIVO instead of eating up the 250 GB disk on the 921.

PLUS you get to use the TIVO's better 'program finder' capability.

I am in the middle of making a more permanent cabling setup from the TIVO to the 921 so I'll have more to report later.
Don't yet know whuch tuner on the 921 the TIVO is controlling.

Joe

Which output do you use to feed the TIVO? I'm thinking of picking up the new TIVO with the DVD recorder built in. I need to archive some stuff. :D

Woo said:
Which output do you use to feed the TIVO? I'm thinking of picking up the new TIVO with the DVD recorder built in. I need to archive some stuff. :D

I had the S-Video going from the 921 to the TIVO. Then I had the TIVO's S-Video going to my TV.

Some things to think about though:

Recall that the HD and SD outputs are NOT active at the same time.
So if you switch the 921 into HD mode , the TIVO will put up a message on the S-Video output that says "Unable to receive video".

If you forget to leave the 921 in SD mode, the TIVO won't record anything.

I found that I often forgot and left the 921 in HD mode so when the 61.5 bird became useless to me last week, I bagged the whole idea of using the 921 to feed the TIVO.

With the demise of HD programming on 61.5, it freed that dish up so I repointed it to 119 and am using my now spare DISH 5000 reciever to feed the TIVO over S-Video.

Also, you do have to leave the 921 on for the TIVO to control it. Right now that does not matter because they have not put the code in to spin the disc down when in standby but down the road, you are going to want to leave it in standby.

Joe

Does DVR 921 has IR blaster to program VCR using Timer events for VCR in 921 (510 does have it). Can this IR blaster also control TIVO

Joe Q said:

That comment gives me the impression that 250GB isn't alot. It's MUCH bigger than any other DVR type device you can currently get on the market. Including your upgraded TIVO unit. And do you also pay monthly TIVO fees? Man, with several dishes, TIVO and who knows how many receivers you have, you must be getting ate up with monthly service fees.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts