Used Hopper and Joey's Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kg2280

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Dallas, TX
I've been wanting the Hopper/Joey setup for quite some time now, but when I called Dish they wanted to charge me some outrageous amount to upgrade. Well, it so happens I was on Craigslist browsing and found someone willing to sell me their Hopper and 2 Joeys all in perfect working condition with remotes, etc for $50. They're moving and cannot use Dish at new location. Before I commit to buy I was wondering if I would run into any problems with Dish activating the system once I get it installed in my home and just how complicated will the install be? I'm pretty handy so the install doesn't intimidate me too much if it's just a matter of running coax cabling, etc., but was wondering if this was a good or bad idea from the pros here.
Please advise.
Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

If your Craigslist seller didn't buy his equipment himself, he doesn't own the equipment, he is leasing it. You need to determine which is correct. If he is leasing, you won't be able to activate the equipment. You also need to understand that you need specific wiring from the dish to a solo node and then specific wiring from the node to the Hopper and Joeys. You might try contacting DIRT on this website to see what they can do for you for an upgrade. You may get free upgrade and only have to pay for installation. That could be $95 without the protection plan or $15 with it....

Thanks for the reply Bobby... how do I contact a "DIRT" member? What is DIRT anyway??? LOL I'm mostly just a lurker here so I've never needed specific help or guidance before.

1 Hopper and 2 Joeys for $50 sounds too good to be true. Chances are they are unreturned leased receivers, which means they will be unable to be activated...

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

You need to get the CA ID numbers from the seller, then contact Dish via DIRT to verify they are owned and sellable. There a lot of people who think they own their leased equipment...they just weren't paying attention when they got started.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts