Used Lnb

darkcharm73

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I cancelled my E* service and I returned my receivers and lnb. My question is why do they want a used lnb? Do they recycle those and put them back in the field for the installer to reuse?

Or is it just a bothersome step they put you through for leaving them.

DHA is a lease system so DISH does not gaurantee new equipment just like the cable company does not give you new equipment. Reuse of equipment is necessary to make leasing affordable to the company.

Actually, used electronic equipment, that has been in place, if not degraded by surge or excessive aging, is much more relibable than new equipment.

Most bad eclectonic systems die and early death. Those that pass the burn in, will usually live for a long time.

Most manufacturers cannot afford the cost of initial burn in.

Last edited:
That is what I have noticed about satellite hardware. Most of the receivers fail in a short amount of time after it was bought new if it is to fail. With how cheap the receivers are made and how many are made there is bound to be a certain rate of failure (especially with DVR's).

As one wh provides premium service to my customers, I burn in and test everything that I install for a couple of days, before going to the customer to do the install. I learned that fro my experience in building PC computers in the late 1980's and 1990's.

The misinformed customer equates burn-in time to using a car as a demo. A burned in unit is much more reliable than something out of the box that might not even have been tested at the factory or turned on for no more than a second or two.

I know for a fact that the satellites, themselves, as well as spacecraft or other components that require high first time reliability, has received extensive burn in tests.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)