user canceling timers

joepistritto

Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
GER
Loved the Hopper so far.

Two questions (maybe feature requests?) related to users canceling timers:

1) If a user cancels a timer (say while watching a show and the screen pops up and asks if the tuner can be used to record a timer and the user says stay on the channel being watched), will that timer automatically record the next showing or do I have to manually tell Hopper to record the next showing of the show that was cancelled?

2) Is there a way to password protect the ability to cancel a timer? That way the kids or guests can't just cancel timers I've set up.

Thanks!

If it's like the VIP models, cancelling a timer the way you describe does not have it record at a later time, it cancels the timer completly. I am not aware of any way to protect against someone cancelling a timer. But I can see with the Hopper/Joey that might become a problem. Best way to not have them cancelled - punishment. :)

Ok, well, that kind of sucks. How do we make suggestions for feature requests to Dish? I think the ability for Hopper to record the show on the next airing and the ability to block users from canceling timers without a password would be good features to implement and would make the system much nicer.

Alternatively, is there a way to get the Hopper to pick a later airing for a timer automatically so that the number of tuners in simultaneous use is conserved? I don't have to have my shows recorded on the first airing.

Thanks!

before cancelling the timer do a search for the event, see is there is another airing and select that one, then, go to the timers area and cancel the first one

Ok, well, that kind of sucks. How do we make suggestions for feature requests to Dish? I think the ability for Hopper to record the show on the next airing and the ability to block users from canceling timers without a password would be good features to implement and would make the system much nicer.

Alternatively, is there a way to get the Hopper to pick a later airing for a timer automatically so that the number of tuners in simultaneous use is conserved? I don't have to have my shows recorded on the first airing.

Thanks!

I didn't say it can't skip and record later, just not the way you asked for it to. Go to the schedule, pick the program and pick Skip. If it is on again on that same channel it will find it and record it. And it already does the second thing you asked, again Dish receivers have for a long time. Just pick a show to record, if timers are full it will ask if you want it to adjust by priority. Pick yes, and it will find that program and record it later on that channel. If you know a program is not going to be repeated any time soon, you can move the priority of programs, or delete the program that will repeat, add the one you need to record, then add back the one that will repeat, it will find the later repeat time. After awhile it will become easier, you know what program alway repeat, or if there is a Western channel (Or Eastern channel if out west) like HBO you record at the different time when other timers are not likely to be used.

I purposely pick programs on A&E or History, etc.. and pick record new episodes, knowing there are no timers available, because it will find the next airing and record it, only if it is new.

I didn't say it can't skip and record later, just not the way you asked for it to. Go to the schedule, pick the program and pick Skip. If it is on again on that same channel it will find it and record it. And it already does the second thing you asked, again Dish receivers have for a long time. Just pick a show to record, if timers are full it will ask if you want it to adjust by priority. Pick yes, and it will find that program and record it later on that channel. If you know a program is not going to be repeated any time soon, you can move the priority of programs, or delete the program that will repeat, add the one you need to record, then add back the one that will repeat, it will find the later repeat time. After awhile it will become easier, you know what program alway repeat, or if there is a Western channel (Or Eastern channel if out west) like HBO you record at the different time when other timers are not likely to be used.

I purposely pick programs on A&E or History, etc.. and pick record new episodes, knowing there are no timers available, because it will find the next airing and record it, only if it is new.

Thanks for responding... but unfortunately, that's not what I am asking (at least I don't think what you described is exactly what I am looking for). I want to conserve the tuners so that I can use it to watch live shows (or really so that the kids or guests don't inadvertently cancel my timers). So, I'd like the ability to change my timers so that I can pick a later airing and keep a tuner free at all times.

joepistritto said:
Thanks for responding... but unfortunately, that's not what I am asking (at least I don't think what you described is exactly what I am looking for). I want to conserve the tuners so that I can use it to watch live shows (or really so that the kids or guests don't inadvertently cancel my timers). So, I'd like the ability to change my timers so that I can pick a later airing and keep a tuner free at all times.

That's why I have two Hoppers, 1 for recording and 1 for live TV.

Sent from my DROIDX

joepistritto said:

Yes re-read my post. Pick a program that repeats later and simply pick SKIP and it will free that time period and record later.

Yes re-read my post. Pick a program that repeats later and simply pick SKIP and it will free that time period and record later.

That sounds like it will work great for one time, but will it remember that for every week? I want it to pick the later spot automatically after a one time configuration.

Thanks again for the replies!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts