Uses for an old 105 SuperDish?

sigmtr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
Central IL
I retired my SuperDish over the weekend in favor of an old Dish 500 with a new DP Twin LNB. Man, was the shroud over the 105 and 110 LNB's a haven for wasps!

Signal levels on the 500 are a little less than with the Super, but acceptable. Now I've got to ask, should I hang onto the Super for any reason? I don't have HD now and don't anticipate going that way very soon. I see that the "outrigger" LNB for 119 is a basic DP Dual and could be used on a 500 size dish for a single feed for a third bird. I also kept my DP34 inline for this reason.

The LNB's under the shroud look a little naked, so even the one for 110 is probably not re-usable. Is there any talk of a kit to convert a 105 version to anything newer?

It was two years ago this month that I installed the Super to get locals, and now I get them on 119 in my area. At least the pole mount was adaptable for the Dish 500 arm with a couple of U-bolts.

sigmtr

You could keep the dish for a spare, use it for a birdbath, for another slot They mentioned making a kit to covert the 121 SuperDish to a Dish Plus but have not mentioned anything about the 105 SuperDish.

As Stargazer said, and I recently seen in a Dish 'tech book (?)' dated June 2006, there will be a "Repoint Kit" but it did not say when. While doing research awhile back, I remember reading that the only difference between the SuperDish 121 and 105 is the shroud. I believe one of the posts during Team Summit said that the kit would replace the shroud with a new LNBF assembly to upgrade it to either a Dish 500+ or 1000+. Therefore, I believe any repoint kit for 121 would work on a 105.

If you have the room, I think I would shelve the SD 105 and see what Dish does in the future, or if you do FTA satellite (FSS), you could always mount the SD 105 on a HH motor and use the 105 LNBF for FTA.

I would reuse one KuFSS LNBF for 118.75W sat, just insert plastic slab and you good to go; other two DBS DP LNBFs are good for experiments with toroidal dish - many ppl waiting for reverse polarity DP LNBFs ;).

sigmtr said:
I retired my SuperDish over the weekend in favor of an old Dish 500 with a new DP Twin LNB. Man, was the shroud over the 105 and 110 LNB's a haven for wasps!

Signal levels on the 500 are a little less than with the Super, but acceptable. Now I've got to ask, should I hang onto the Super for any reason? I don't have HD now and don't anticipate going that way very soon. I see that the "outrigger" LNB for 119 is a basic DP Dual and could be used on a 500 size dish for a single feed for a third bird. I also kept my DP34 inline for this reason.

The LNB's under the shroud look a little naked, so even the one for 110 is probably not re-usable. Is there any talk of a kit to convert a 105 version to anything newer?

It was two years ago this month that I installed the Super to get locals, and now I get them on 119 in my area. At least the pole mount was adaptable for the Dish 500 arm with a couple of U-bolts.

sigmtr

The Super Dish 105/121 are only in use in some areas for local channels. In my area the SD is no longer good, unless you receive over seas packages (ie. Asian channels) The local channels in my area were brodcast off of 121 satellite, now Dish has moved the locals to the 110 and 119.

OK, thanks folks! I'll hang onto the Super for now. I like hacking around with this stuff anyway, and someday I may get into FTA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts