Using 501 with HD Upgrade

coachdubya

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2006
Just bought an LCD TV so need to upgrade to HD. Planning on moving 501 to BR (tv in there is SD) Will my 501 still work when I upgrade?

Current Config:
Den: 501
MasterBR: 3700

Proposed New Config:
Den: 211 w/ Philips DVD Recorder 3576h
MasterBR: 501

Good deal. Just occurred to me that there was a chance 501 wouldn't work.

Thanks!

501 will not work right as all the channels on 72 and 77 are mpeg4.
And if that weren't enough, it can't demodulate 8PSK! So it can't even tell us the signal strength on HD transponders.

I am below novice level on this stuff, so really appreciate the responses.

I don't want a wing dish, so assuming an upgrade to 1000 and that I just received the new purple smartcards in the mail this week would the 501 work?

Got a holiday promo email yesterday so called Dish tonight about upgrading to HD, and here's the offer.

612 Free
622 $50
211 $75
722 about $125

Price includes installation and antenna upgrade. $5.98 fee "waived" via Dish DVR Advantage. Prolly should have asked if the waiver had an expiration date.

Per my original post I initially was thinking of the 211 since I'll have the Philips DVD recorder. Then with the 508 in the master both tv's would be covered by dvr. In that scenario or even with the 612 I am still paying the $5/mo additional receiver fee for the 501 assuming it's compatible.

If you go to a 2 tv receiver, then the $5 mo additional receiver fee goes away. Correct?

I want to make a good choice, just really confused about what that is. :confused::D

It does not matter how many tv's are hooked up to any one receiver, the additional tuner fee goes away when a two tuner receiver is hooked up to either a phone line or to a dsl. Not hooking a dual tuner to a second tv does not get the fee waived.

The nice thing about going the 622 route is you can watch all of your channels and recordings on either TV. Your 501 can't tune HDNET for example but the 622 will allow you to view it in the bedroom.

Ah, good point, and just when I had settled on the 612. Reading through quite a few threads today and it seems like 622 has more than it's share of problems though.

The only major 622 problem was the printed circuit board (PCB) connector attachment for the Ethernet, subsequently fixed. The 722 is better all around with a faster processor and more internal disk. The second output is often useful on 622/722. Choose the 722 if the extra $50 or so is OK with you.
-Ken

The 622 is $50, the 722 is $125. Hmmm...wonder if I could call and negotiate a better deal?:D

If I go with either of the above, then the dvr advantage would take care of the $5.98, and hooking it into phone line (just purchased phonex jack) would eliminate the $5 addl rec fee. However, there will be $7/mo lease on receiver. Sound about right?

If so, does $7/mo lease apply to any of the current receiver models?

The only major 622 problem was the printed circuit board (PCB) connector attachment for the Ethernet, subsequently fixed. The 722 is better all around with a faster processor and more internal disk. The second output is often useful on 622/722. Choose the 722 if the extra $50 or so is OK with you.
-Ken

Ethernet connector? Don't you mean HDMI connector?

Knoxville Tn Hd Local

Dish Network May Drop KWQC-TV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)