Using .75E Globecast Dish to Replace Dish Network 1000.4 Eartern Arc Dish

Babadem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 21, 2007
MA
I currently have a Dish 1000.4 for the Eastern Arc Satellites that I have temporarily moved to a new location, because my roof is being fixed. Now, this temporary move got me thinking! I should replace DN Dish 1000.4 with a modified Channel Master 36"x27" Globecast Elliptical. As we all know, the 1000.4 has a very low "Rain Fade" tolerance and the Globecast Dish should help reduce, but not eliminate it. My concern is that I do not have a meter that would detect the MPEG 4 signals from 61.5°W, 72.5°W and 77.0°W, and that leaves me to use my 722K to point and peak the Dish. (1) Since 72.5°W is my true south, my Elevation should be 41.2° and the skew on the Dish should be about 90.0°, right? (2) Does anyone know the transponders that I would use to point and peak the signals on all three Satellites considering that I'm on Eastern Massachusetts?

I have attached sample picture of Channel Master 36"x27" Globecast Elliptical dish.

Attachments

• GlobeCast-Dish.75E.jpg
    GlobeCast-Dish.75E.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 386
Go to The List and then for each of the three satellites you want to peak.

Click on the Beam column header to sort by beam type.

Then pick any one transponder identified as Conus and you are good to go (do not use spot beam transponders)

Go to The List and then for each of the three satellites you want to peak.

Click on the Beam column header to sort by beam type.

Then pick any one transponder identified as Conus and you are good to go (do not use spot beam transponders)
Thanks for the info.:cool::up

I currently have a Dish 1000.4 for the Eastern Arc Satellites that I have temporarily moved to a new location, because my roof is being fixed. Now, this temporary move got me thinking! I should replace DN Dish 1000.4 with a modified Channel Master 36"x27" Globecast Elliptical. As we all know, the 1000.4 has a very low "Rain Fade" tolerance and the Globecast Dish should help reduce, but not eliminate it. My concern is that I do not have a meter that would detect the MPEG 4 signals from 61.5°W, 72.5°W and 77.0°W, and that leaves me to use my 722K to point and peak the Dish. (1) Since 72.5°W is my true south, my Elevation should be 41.2° and the skew on the Dish should be about 90.0°, right? (2) Does anyone know the transponders that I would use to point and peak the signals on all three Satellites considering that I'm on Eastern Massachusetts?

I have attached sample picture of Channel Master 36"x27" Globecast Elliptical dish.

How are you planning on getting 3 satellites from a dish designed to be aimed at one?

How are you planning on getting 3 satellites from a dish designed to be aimed at one?
The Channel Master 36"x27" Globecast Elliptical dish has almost the same parameters with the DN 1000.4 Dish with exception of the size. The advantage being the Channel Master 36"x27" Globecast Elliptical is bigger.

The Channel Master 36"x27" Globecast Elliptical dish has almost the same parameters with the DN 1000.4 Dish with exception of the size. The advantage being the Channel Master 36"x27" Globecast Elliptical is bigger.

But is the LNB support arm at the right point for using the E* 1k4 LNB setup?

But is the LNB support arm at the right point for using the E* 1k4 LNB setup?

Yeh, the shape of the reflector, the length of the LNB arm and the spacing of the LNBs all come into play in capturing signal. Good luck in your endeavor. The way to reduce or eliminate rain fade is to use a larger reflector and a single LNB for each orbital.

The elliptical describes the outer shape of the dish, not it's curvature.

All dish surfaces are hyperbolic to one degree or another.

Dish network multi lnb dishes are defocused in the horizonal plane to service lnbs along a line across the focal point of the dish (they are hyperbolic in the vertical plane but the hyperbola is flattened in the horizonal plane.

If the Channel master dish is not designed with multiple lnbs in mind AND with the same focal length as the Dish Network 1000.4, it will not work because you will be able to focus one satellite but the other 2 will be very weak if they are distinguishable at all.

EDIT: Looking at the Globecast data on line it is designed for one LNB, so it has a single focal point and would probably give you less signal strength on 61.5 if you were able to get 72.7 and 77 lined up.

Last edited:

Bob you sound like the most unadventurous person out there (and from reading your posts my assumption sounds right). Dont you ever want to try tinkering with something to see if it can be done? When you go to your favorite eating establishment you probably order the same thing every time.

DBS is so much easier to do multiple LNB's on a "non standard" dish than it would be for KU Band. I've done it numerous times. Below are 2 pics
-119/123 (KU)/129 on a Primestar (40x30)
-107.3 (when I had a Shaw Direct account) and 119

both times the DBS signals were much higher than what a stock D500 would give

Attachments

• 000_0427.jpg
    000_0427.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 253
  • 000_0536.jpg
    000_0536.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 285
Looks like you re-spaced the lnb's also, putting them closer to the focal point of the dish, can't do that with a D1000.4 EA lnb head.

yes I know that. I've worked with using multiple LNB's on dishes for a fair amount of years so I know the spacing is different on the larger dishes versus the smaller ones. There's a reason I have a stockpile of hose clamps and scrap pieces of wood. It doesnt have to be pretty to be effective ;)

But if the OP only has one receiver (the 722 as mentioned) and isnt in Springfield (as those HD locals are on 77) he could feasibly get by with a couple Legacy duals and 2 SW21's (them are dime a dozen) or could do DishPro duals or singles and a DP34. The OP is a FTA person too so he's probably done some "reworking" of a setup previously:)

Bob you sound like the most unadventurous person out there (and from reading your posts my assumption sounds right). Dont you ever want to try tinkering with something to see if it can be done? When you go to your favorite eating establishment you probably order the same thing every time.

DBS is so much easier to do multiple LNB's on a "non standard" dish than it would be for KU Band. I've done it numerous times. Below are 2 pics
-119/123 (KU)/129 on a Primestar (40x30)
-107.3 (when I had a Shaw Direct account) and 119

both times the DBS signals were much higher than what a stock D500 would give
Ice it sounds like you have nothing better to do than play Don Quixote and tilt at windmills. As long as it is your money nobody else gets hurt but encouraging others to try the impossible may not be in their best interest.

Great set up Icebeg! Love the chunk of wood and the clamps. I even saw a guy place several layers of tin foil under the lnbs just to tweek it a little.

RT.
Thanks
I've done multi-LNB setups like that for a long time. Its always fun to work with what ya already have and make it better :)

As long as it is your money nobody else gets hurt but encouraging others to try the impossible may not be in their best interest.

Considering I went 2 years with no job "wasting money" wasn't an option for me. I used what I already had here to do some pretty neat setups.

Its not the impossible. As I said before DBS is very easy to pick up compared to linear KU Band. If the OP already has the dish (which he does) and have some older LNB's laying around (since he is a FTA'er I betcha he does) other than pissing away maybe a couple hours what does he have to lose? He has more to gain if it works :)

yes I know that. I've worked with using multiple LNB's on dishes for a fair amount of years so I know the spacing is different on the larger dishes versus the smaller ones. There's a reason I have a stockpile of hose clamps and scrap pieces of wood. It doesnt have to be pretty to be effective ;)

But if the OP only has one receiver (the 722 as mentioned) and isnt in Springfield (as those HD locals are on 77) he could feasibly get by with a couple Legacy duals and 2 SW21's (them are dime a dozen) or could do DishPro duals or singles and a DP34. The OP is a FTA person too so he's probably done some "reworking" of a setup previously:)
I live about 15 miles south of Boston, so getting the locals wouldn't be an issue. I currently have 2 Dishpro Dual outputs, and a DP44. I need to buy a third DishPro LNB. Oh, I have a Legacy Direct TV DBS KU LNB laying around somewhere in the basement. Will the SW21 and the Legacy Direct TV LNB be compatible with the DP44?
Ice it sounds like you have nothing better to do than play Don Quixote and tilt at windmills. As long as it is your money nobody else gets hurt but encouraging others to try the impossible may not be in their best interest.
Well Boba, if you must know, I like to try and make the impossible possible. I have been very successful using Dishes not designed for Multiple lnbs setups to lock on multiple satellites in the past even though they weren't designed to do so. As you may know the Dish Network KU signals are like flood lights compared to the low powered flash lights on the Linear KU bands. As a result, it is really easy to lock on those Dish Network signals and whatever signals I capture with the Globecast Dish will be a lot higher than I currently get with the 1000.4 Dish when the setup is complete.

I live about 15 miles south of Boston, so getting the locals wouldn't be an issue. I currently have 2 Dishpro Dual outputs, and a DP44. I need to buy a third DishPro LNB. Oh, I have a Legacy Direct TV DBS KU LNB laying around somewhere in the basement. Will the SW21 and the Legacy Direct TV LNB be compatible with the DP44?
you would only need 61.5 & 72.7 in the setup unless you have Spanish channels. 77 has some locals (not Boston) and Spanish
The DishPro duals and the 44 would work fine with the setup

Well Boba, if you must know, I like to try and make the impossible possible. I have been very successful using Dishes not designed for Multiple lnbs setups to lock on multiple satellites in the past even though they weren't designed to do so. As you may know the Dish Network KU signals are like flood lights compared to the low powered flash lights on the Linear KU bands. As a result, it is really easy to lock on those Dish Network signals and whatever signals I capture with the Globecast Dish will be a lot higher than I currently get with the 1000.4 Dish when the setup is complete.
sounds like a true FTA'er ;)

you would only need 61.5 & 72.7 in the setup unless you have Spanish channels. 77 has some locals (not Boston) and Spanish
The DishPro duals and the 44 would work fine with the setup

sounds like a true FTA'er ;)
I do have some Spanish channels (not that I understand Spanish anyway) as part of my package, so I will end up getting that third DishPro LNB anyway. Will combining let's say 61.5°W & 72.7°W on a SW21 ----->DP44 and then running the second cable from 77.0°W directly to a second port to the DP44 work?

dont use the SW21...thats old technology

as for the Spanish...its the channels in the 800's that are on 77W. The "stock" Spanish channels in the 270's are on 61.5
SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - DISH Network 77°W

But if you want to use all 3 LNB's
one cable from each LNB into the DPP44
61.5 into port 1
72.7 into port 2
77 into port 3

one cable to the DVR with the separator at the unit. You will need to rerun check switch

dont use the SW21...thats old technology

as for the Spanish...its the channels in the 800's that are on 77W. The "stock" Spanish channels in the 270's are on 61.5
SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - DISH Network 77°W

But if you want to use all 3 LNB's
one cable from each LNB into the DPP44
61.5 into port 1
72.7 into port 2
77 into port 3

one cable to the DVR with the separator at the unit. You will need to rerun check switch

The religious channels in the 200's are also on 77.0°W.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)