Using 811 & 508 together

S

SAT

Thread Starter
Member
Mar 9, 2004
5
0
NE Oklahoma
Can you combine the 811 and 508 together? I would like to record but not necessarily in hd.
 
M

MikeF

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 2, 2003
195
0
I have a 510 along with an 811 on the same set. I don't see why a 508 wouldn't work.
 
P

peallen

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 17, 2003
115
0
I have my 508 connected in the back of my 811 with the RCA jacks into one of the video inputs. I have noticed that the picture is kind of faded, does not look nearly as good as it used to. Any ideas of what could make it better?
 
M

MikeF

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 2, 2003
195
0
I have my 508 connected in the back of my 811 with the RCA jacks into one of the video inputs
Have you tried using seperate imputs to your TV instead of daisy-chaining them? I, too, tried what you are doing when I first got the 811 but went back to seperate for 2 reasons. 1. PQ. 2. PIP
 
P

peallen

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 17, 2003
115
0
MikeF said:
Have you tried using seperate imputs to your TV instead of daisy-chaining them? I, too, tried what you are doing when I first got the 811 but went back to seperate for 2 reasons. 1. PQ. 2. PIP


I tried that first and still had the same result. The 811 looks great even in SD but the 508 has gone to the crapper PQ wise. I'll probably just end up moving it to my bedroom.
 
Kevinw

Kevinw

Just a regular guy
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
2,992
13
Jacksonville, FL
If your 811 looks great in SD it is beacuse you have your brightness/contrast cranked real high. Lowering the contrast and brightness will keep your 508 from looking faded.
 
P

peallen

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 17, 2003
115
0
Kevinw said:
If your 811 looks great in SD it is beacuse you have your brightness/contrast cranked real high. Lowering the contrast and brightness will keep your 508 from looking faded.


My brightness and contrast are turned down pretty low. Even when the 508 isn't on I can turn to that input channel 0-01 and it is not black, if I go to 0-02 where nothing is connected completely black screen. Anyway it's not just the fading of the picture it's more of the movement of the show, it's kind hard to explain.
 
peid

peid

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Dec 22, 2003
227
0
South Dakota
I need some questions answered here too.

I currently have the 811 hooked up to my HD RPTV.

I got this wild hair the other day wanting Tivo so went looking last night and the guy told me just to get the 508 from Dish. No monthly fee etc.

So, what is the proper way to hook up the 508 and the 811 to the same TV.

If I hooked both up direct to the TV, would I have PIP? I also only have one cable direct from the satellite to the back of the 811. Do I need two cables or can I split the signal? Or do I run in the back of the 508 the out of the 508 into the 811?

I can get a brand new in the box left over stock 508 for $275. Is that a good deal?

This board has been very helpful on numerous situations and I hope you can help on this.

Please give pros and cons to either way I hook up or not to hook up. PQ etc?

I do understand the 811 will be the HD source, but I shouldn't notice a difference between the 508 and 811 on SD should I?
 
A

AdamB

Member
Mar 9, 2004
8
0
I too plan on running two receivers into the same TV (Hitachi DLP 55DMX): My 501 DVR and an 811. I get the 811 this Sunday and am curious how I should set it up. Reasoning? 1. The DVR (best thing since sliced bread) and 2. I've heard the SD PQ is better (I'm sure its an 811 software issue though).

This is what I plan on trying.

I'll have two cables running from the dish to the outlet next to TV. One will go to the 811, the other to the 501. The output of the 501 (S-Vid) will go into my Pelican component switcher input.

The 811's output (component in my case) will also go to the pelican component input. The output of the pelican will have both Svid and component cables going to the TV. Now here's where I have a question. I can run both Svid and Component to the Video1 input on the TV and just hit the pelican to switch between the 811 and 501. I won't be able to do PIP though right? What if I ran the Svid to Video 2 and the component (811) to Video1? I still think i'm screwed since i'm using the pelican switcher (only one output).

OR.....

Run the 811 and my DVD player (both using component) to the Pelican switcher and output them to Video1 on the TV. Then run the 501 direct to the TV using S-vid to Video2. Now I should be able to use PIP. ...I think ;)

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

AdamB (Jackie-O)

peid said:
I need some questions answered here too.

I currently have the 811 hooked up to my HD RPTV.

I got this wild hair the other day wanting Tivo so went looking last night and the guy told me just to get the 508 from Dish. No monthly fee etc.

So, what is the proper way to hook up the 508 and the 811 to the same TV.

If I hooked both up direct to the TV, would I have PIP? I also only have one cable direct from the satellite to the back of the 811. Do I need two cables or can I split the signal? Or do I run in the back of the 508 the out of the 508 into the 811?

I can get a brand new in the box left over stock 508 for $275. Is that a good deal?

This board has been very helpful on numerous situations and I hope you can help on this.

Please give pros and cons to either way I hook up or not to hook up. PQ etc?

I do understand the 811 will be the HD source, but I shouldn't notice a difference between the 508 and 811 on SD should I?
 
Y

yrac

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 20, 2003
41
0
Union City, CA
I have a 510 and an 811 connected to my HD RPTV. I have a Pioneer PRO510, and if you have sources on 2 separate inputs, PIP is available. Right now, all my sources are going through a video processor, so I can't use PIP.

You will need 2 sat cables, you cannot split the sat signal. In my setup, I only have 2 coax runs, and I need 3 since I also have OTA. You can't use diplexers with 2 sat signals, but you can use them with a sat signal and an OTA signal. I combine the sat and OTA at the multiswitch with a diplexer, and split them at the receiver with another diplexer. So ihave the outputs of the diplexer connected to my 811, and the 2nd coax run to the 510. I then connected component out from the 811 to my processor, and connected S-video from the 510 to the processor (of course, you would connect these to different inputs on your TV if you don't have a video processor).

I also changed the remote address of my 510 since I use a universal IR remote.

PQ on SD are about the same on both, with a slight edge given to the 510.
 
waltinvt

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
3,439
1
Vermont
I've been using the 508 + 811 to my hdtv for a couple of months now. Early on I tried running the 508 thru the rear inputs of the 811 and it looked terrible.Now I have the 811 to the tv via DVI and the 508 to the tv via S-vid. The 811 is great for HD and the 508 is great for SD. Since the 264 upgrade, the 811's SD is better that it was but still not as good as the 508 running direct to the tv via Svid.
I read somewhere that the rear inputs on the 811 are not working properly yet and it's intended to be fixed in a future software upgrade.
I also tried running my basic (analog) cable thru the OTA of the 811 but it was nowhere near as good as hooking it directly to the RF on the tv.
Walt
 

Similar threads

R
Replies
13
Views
3K
Ransack
R
S
Replies
8
Views
2K
GaryPen
GaryPen
R
Replies
5
Views
930
SimpleSimon
SimpleSimon
B
Replies
6
Views
1K
aperry
A
D
Replies
2
Views
1K
GaryPen
GaryPen
Top