Using 811 for OTA without DN service question

jeffvb99

Original poster
Nov 6, 2005
Was curious if I could use my old 811 dish network receiver that is currently connected to a antannae in the attic to pick up local OTA HD channels without having dish network service?

When I turn on the receiver it looks for a satellite signal and will not get beyond that screen. I can access the menus but I have no idea if there is a setting I need to change.

Any help would be appreciated....thanks.

You MUST have a dish looking at a DN satellite to use the 811. (you don't need service but must have the dish)

Thanks. Does it have to be a Dish dish or is there some way to use my current providers dish and splice in a line to my 811? Probably a dumb question but if I can get away from putting up 2 dishs my wife will be much happier.

jeffvb99 said:
Thanks. Does it have to be a Dish dish or is there some way to use my current providers dish and splice in a line to my 811? Probably a dumb question but if I can get away from putting up 2 dishs my wife will be much happier.
The 811 or any DISH HD receiver must recognize a DISH Network satellite signal before it will tune an OTA picture. It dosen't matter which DISH satellite the signal comes from but it must recognize a DISH signal before it will work. No you can't connect it to a Directv signal off 101 but a Directv dish pointed at 119 should work but you will need to send the correct tone to get a directv switch to lock on 119. :)

or use an external switch as in the first tri DirecTV dishes and intercept before the switch. What they hay, put up another dish and impress your neighbors. Convince your wife you are ahead of the Jone's.

Barry Erick said:
or use an external switch as in the first tri DirecTV dishes and intercept before the switch. What they hay, put up another dish and impress your neighbors. Convince your wife you are ahead of the Jone's.

Yep 2 dishes it is.....Man I wish I would have known as I would have had the install guy run another line in from the new dish. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)