Using a Dual Tuner Receiver

PKII

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
WV
How exactly does the dual tuner receivers connect to a second TV in a different room? One instruction manual I saw says to connect it to the existing coax cable in the home. However, that is where cable tv is currently available. If I am using both cable and dish network (long story) how do I connect a second TV using a dual tuner receiver?

You need to run a new cable unless you're willing to invest in some not inexpensive filtering equipment. Whether you subscribe to a lot of cable channels or not, digital cable (TV, voice and data) pretty much fills the entire spectrum of the cable with signal and you can't simply "join" the two without making hardware provisions to avoid interference.

You need to run a new cable unless you're willing to invest in some not inexpensive filtering equipment. Whether you subscribe to a lot of cable channels or not, digital cable (TV, voice and data) pretty much fills the entire spectrum of the cable with signal and you can't simply "join" the two without making hardware provisions to avoid interference.
So pointless to get a dual tuner. I thought it sent the audio/video wireless somehow. : / I will just use 2 receivers I guess.

So pointless to get a dual tuner.

not if you want to record 2 shows at once...the 622/722/722K you have the option of having it output to a 2nd TV or just one TV. There are some differences when recording in each mode (main one is in single mode you can flip between two recording shows)

For us the Dish installer ran coax from the Dish directly to our VIP722 (luckily Dish is installed directly outside our Living Room), so then I just connected the TV2 out on the DVR to the existing coax in the house (not being used for anything else) which makes the TV2 programming available concurrently in every room given there's a coax drop. We only have one other TV which is in a second living area across the house which works great using the TV2, but I've tested it from all bedrooms and it works equally well there too. It's not HD, but for us I don't care.

So I guess the usefulness of the TV2 Out depends on your setup and whether or not HD is a must. For us it works out rather well...

not if you want to record 2 shows at once...the 622/722/722K you have the option of having it output to a 2nd TV or just one TV. There are some differences when recording in each mode (main one is in single mode you can flip between two recording shows)
Well I wasn't planning on getting a DVR and I do have two cable runs inside to 2 different tv's but I confused on how they hooked it up to run every tv in your house. 5 Receivers? Getting expensive.

How does that new hopper receiver work. Does it need the existing coaxial? I see little boxes for each tv in the brochure. Does it work completely different from the old dual tuner receivers?

Well I wasn't planning on getting a DVR and I do have two cable runs inside to 2 different tv's but I confused on how they hooked it up to run every tv in your house. 5 Receivers? Getting expensive.
I think the issue here is that the house is already wired, but the OP wants to continue to run CATV signals through the existing wiring.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts