Using a Joey in HD on an older DVI input TV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Brodieb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Maryville, MO
I have an older HDTV in my basement that is DVI only (TV is a Hitachi 46f500 and the DVI input is HDCP V1.0) - will the Joey work with a HDMI-DVI cable? I have had some issues with newer equipment not passing HD to the set since it is an older HDCP version. I currently have a 211k hooked up to the set via the component inputs and the HD looks great, but I want to be sure the Joey will work in the same manner before I upgrade.

I would say that chances are no it will not work since it requires DHCP for the signal.

There is also no component (Red Green Blue) outputs on a Joey (there is on the Hopper)

You may want to put the Hopper on that TV instead and use its component cables like you are now for your 211. :)

The problem with that is we hardly ever use that TV. I would rather keep the 211k and put the Hopper where my 722K is now - but it sounds like Dish does not want VIP hardware mixed with Hopper/Joey hardware. I may just need to wait until I can upgrade the TV.

No DISH will not let you mix ViP receivers with Hopper technology, but again put the Hopper in that room and put the Joey in your main room. They both operate the same... plus it will be quieter in your main room as you wont hear a hard drive spinning all the time. There is no difference to you in the operation of the units. :)

I would say that chances are no it will not work since it requires DHCP for the signal.

I have a 2003 model Samsung DLP with DVI-D and no HDMI. Specs say it supports HDCP over DVI. I am hoping this will work with a Joey using an HDCP compliant HDMI to DVI-D cable.

Last edited:
In theory, Theory and Practice are the same.

In practice, they are not!

I don't know what Dish is doing with HDCP. One of my 622s has a bad HDMI so I use component. I have never gotten an HDCP warning message watching HBO. Doing the HDMI test shows no HDCP.

I got curious and tried my 211k with the HDMI-DVI cable I have and it passed HD just fine. I watched a few minutes of a NBA game and it looked the exact same as the component outputs.

So unless Dish uses different copy protection in the Joey units it should work just fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)