MLB Preseason + HD RSN?

dare2be

SatelliteGuys God
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 15, 2011
FL
This will be my first year with HD on Dish during the MLB preseason. Anyone know whether preseason games broadcast on your RSN will be in HD, or is it hit or miss by team/network/broadcast?

I believe most of them were for me last year. FSN Detroit doesn't carry many of the Tigers spring training games though.

Yeah, I just checked the Pirates schedule...4 games on ROOT, another smattering on MLBN (delay).

Yeah, That would be regular season games though. Some people, like myself, are in need of that baseball fix now starting with the spring training games. Even though the bench players and guys that will end up in the minors will play as much as the studs I just can't wait to see baseball again.

I signed up for MLB.TV early this year because they say they are carrying over 150 spring training games live with no blackouts even in home markets. MLB.TV carries a lot of Detroit Tigers spring training games that are only carried on the other team's RSN and a few that are MLB.TV exclusives. MLB Network will also be replaying most of the MLB.TV carried spring training games at a later time or date.

Premium is $125 for the year or $25 per month. Basic is $110 for the year or $20 per month.

Premium comes with the MLB.TV smartphone app that was $15 per year in the past. This app allows you to watch the games on your phone or listen to home or away radio broadcasts. Premium also gives you the choice of home or away telecasts so you can always get your teams announcers while basic only gets the home feed. Premium is also required this season if you want to use it on a PS3, Xbox 360, Roku, Apple TV etc.... Basic is only for use on your Mac or PC.

These are the only options for out of market baseball for us Dish customers. I'm fine with that and I would probably still choose mlb.tv over EI if I were a Directv customer. The live spring training games with no blackouts are a nice little bonus too.

If you use the smartphone APP then the Premium already pays for itself since it is $15 more than the basic anyway.

I wonder if the iPad and iPhone APP will be seperate again this year? Last year I had to pay $30 total because each APP was a seperate $15 purchase. If they are sperate APPs I wonder if the Premiums service will allow me to download both for free or just one?

Since I use my PS3 to watch the games on my TV I have to get the Premium anyway.

Since they do include the APP this year the same service will actually cost me less money. Last year I had to pay $120 for the service + $15 for the iPhone APP + $15 for the iPad APP = $150

This year it will only cost me $125 or $140 if I still have to purchase the seperate iPad APP.

Last edited:
Found Padres have continuous FxSD coverage beginning April 2. Can't see HD or SD.

and they're getting the guy who does the news here in Minneapolis NBC station

After six years at KARE 11, news anchor Mike Pomeranz is leaving. He will begin the next chapter of his career as broadcaster for the San Diego Padres.
Mike Pomeranz leaving KARE 11 | kare11.com

so Mr Big white teeth is going to the coast ;)

It looks like FS San Diego is supposed to launch March 5th but no providers besides Cox Cable in San Diego have announced that they will carry it yet.

It looks like FS San Diego is supposed to launch March 5th but no providers besides Cox Cable in San Diego have announced that they will carry it yet.
Don't tell me that. I've been waiting to Dish to show Padre games for 10+ years.

Besides doesn't Dish carry all the RSNs that are out there?

They carry the rest of the Fox Sports nets around the country so they will probably carry this one too. They don't carry some of the other RSNs like YES, SNY, MSG, and CSN Philly. I'm not sure if that is a complete list but I would think they would come to an agreement for this one since it is one of the FSNs.

If you use the smartphone APP then the Premium already pays for itself since it is $15 more than the basic anyway.

I wonder if the iPad and iPhone APP will be seperate again this year? Last year I had to pay $30 total because each APP was a seperate $15 purchase. If they are sperate APPs I wonder if the Premiums service will allow me to download both for free or just one?

Since I use my PS3 to watch the games on my TV I have to get the Premium anyway.

Since they do include the APP this year the same service will actually cost me less money. Last year I had to pay $120 for the service + $15 for the iPhone APP + $15 for the iPad APP = $150

This year it will only cost me $125 or $140 if I still have to purchase the seperate iPad APP.

Cool. This year it is the same APP for both and it automatically showed up as free for me since I have the Premium Account.

If things stay to form, I would think it is more likely than not the FSN Padres channel would be picked up. I agree it's the MSG, YES, or I bet new LA Lakers RSN that seem to want the moon to be carried.

As for MLB, I actually think the computer/Roku/smartphone version is the way to go even over a provider carrying it. You can take it with you wherever you are, meaning if you are out of your DMA that's when you might most want to watch your team, and you would be able to, while in your DMA you can watch all the other teams.
Of course there's the no cost way if you have a Slingbox to watch your team most anywhere.....

As for MLB, I actually think the computer/Roku/smartphone version is the way to go even over a provider carrying it. You can take it with you wherever you are, meaning if you are out of your DMA that's when you might most want to watch your team, and you would be able to, while in your DMA you can watch all the other teams.
Of course there's the no cost way if you have a Slingbox to watch your team most anywhere.....
Yep. I have DirecTV and they have the best version of EI of any provider. I also subbed to EI for years. Even with that last year I went the MLB.TV route instead and I am doing it again this year.

Premium is $125 for the year or $25 per month. Basic is $110 for the year or $20 per month.

Premium comes with the MLB.TV smartphone app that was $15 per year in the past. This app allows you to watch the games on your phone or listen to home or away radio broadcasts. Premium also gives you the choice of home or away telecasts so you can always get your teams announcers while basic only gets the home feed. Premium is also required this season if you want to use it on a PS3, Xbox 360, Roku, Apple TV etc.... Basic is only for use on your Mac or PC.

These are the only options for out of market baseball for us Dish customers. I'm fine with that and I would probably still choose mlb.tv over EI if I were a Directv customer. The live spring training games with no blackouts are a nice little bonus too.
First time full season subscriber...was geeked believing that todays game (FSU-Phills)would be shown as it appeared on both the mlb.com and mlb.tv calendar with no indication it was not to be shown. Bummer!

In the past Dish has blacked out spring training games just like they do regular season ones. There was an exception to this for one year, maybe when Dish was carrying EI. So if you are not in the Phillies market you would not have gotten the game on Dish. As to MLB.TV, it should have been available in the Spring if carried. I have not seen a problem with that in the past and I have been a subscriber since Dish dropped EI..

First time full season subscriber...was geeked believing that todays game (FSU-Phills)would be shown as it appeared on both the mlb.com and mlb.tv calendar with no indication it was not to be shown. Bummer!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)