Using a Verizon phone in mexico or on a cruise ship

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
Ok, this is my parents first cruise since I swapped their phones to Verizon, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with using a verizon iphone 4 in the tourist areas or on the ship.

I know that it is possible, and the phone is capable, but is there anything special that they need to do to activate it for such use, or will it just be "on", and billed at the rate that is set for those areas, which I do know, is high.

Watch out turning you phone on in those areas. We got surprised a few years ago when I turned mine on and it downloaded all me email and text messages that were waiting for me while my phone was off.

Watch out turning you phone on in those areas. We got surprised a few years ago when I turned mine on and it downloaded all me email and text messages that were waiting for me while my phone was off.
I told her to just turn data off to be safe.

The main thing we want is to be able to text if I have an office question, or a call in case of emergency. I doubt it will be used much at all, I just want to make sure that it is available if needed.

The only problem is the cost at least on Royal Caribbean. If you connect using their network on the ship your phone carrier bills the call at an international rate of $2.49 a minute. I'm sure the revenue is split with Royal Caribbean.

Go to your carriers web site for international rates and look for your cruise line to see how much you will be charged.

Least expensive way to make calls is to use cheap or free WiFi in port using either the Skype or MagicJack application on your phone.

Cricket review or opinions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)