Using additional receiver in remote location

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mandyjon

Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
northern Illinois
Hi all,
I have DISH with a 612 DVR and an old analog receiver that I use in a separate room. Whenever I travel to my vacation home in southern Illinois, I use the analog receiver and I have a 500 dish in order to watch TV there. Question is, if I upgrade my home DVR, can I use the 612 at the vacation home to get HD? If so, would I need another dish and is there something that already exists that would allow me to see how two dishes are tied together (or maybe there is another input on the back of the receiver for another cable).

Is being able to get HD in this manner possible? I thought about getting a sling but my internet speeds in southern Illinois only download at about 760K. I hope this makes sense and that someone has tried something like this before.

Thank you.

Joe

Two different receivers in two different locations is called Stacking and is illegal. You can take both receivers with you to the second home and call DISH and change your service address and that would be legal or get a second account that you can turn off and on when you are there. Someone from DISH dirt team should chime in here and try to handle it for you.

When you say 'if I upgrade my home DVR' - are you referring to the Hopper? I assume you are. There are posts that mention they will now allow a mix of legacy receivers with the new XIP hardware (Hopper/Joey). But it is too soon to know for sure, I think. There may be ways for a supervisor to 'override' that in their system. I would think in particular they would have some sort of RV override, which might work well for you.

So assuming that they did actually let you use the 612 at the vacation home, you would need to upgrade your 500 dish to something that can see all 3 sats on either EA or WA (if you want to actually view HD channels).

Two different receivers in two different locations is called Stacking and is illegal. You can take both receivers with you to the second home and call DISH and change your service address and that would be legal or get a second account that you can turn off and on when you are there. Someone from DISH dirt team should chime in here and try to handle it for you.

DOHH! :) Well yea, there is that issue. I hadn't taken it that way and for some reason I have an image in my head of Charlie himself (years ago on a Charlie Chat) talking about taking a receiver to a vacation spot like that. But that was a few years ago and things may have changed. I have never done this myself.

Dish seems to be strick on the rule that only allows one account to have one location. Even if that second location is a in-law suite over a garage. If you have more than one receiver on the account, you can expect a call a some point from the audit team asking for information that allows them to know both receivers are at the same location.

It is understandable that Dish does this, other wise a person could set his neighbor up with a second receiver and never pay Dish for their programming.

The best thing to do is just put a dish that see's the satellites you need at the vacation home and take the second receiver with you when you visit. If it is in another viewing area, you will have to call dish each time in order to get your locals for the vacation home. Dish does not seem to mind how often you call to change the location you are watching from. The exception to this rule is if the second location is an RV. Once you prove to them that you own an RV the audit team understands and leave's alone. You do miss the locals however. The sling adapter really works well, but having slow bandwith is an issue

Ok, let me back up before others automatically jump to conclusion that something illegal is being tried here. First I thought I came across a post where someone from DISH wrote that it was in fact ok to take a receiver to a vacation home to watch TV there since you are not watching it simultaneously. SO I am not trying to do something illegal .

I do have a dish at the vacation home already, that's the 500. I was wondering if I got another HD receiver for the vacation home, could I get HD there with the 500 or would I need another dish and how do you 'tie' those together. I can understand that people think people are trying to do something wrong so if the best answer is to go right to DISH and find out, I will do that.

RWJGA - thanks for confirming on the sling, that's what I thought. I think that would be my best bet but until I can get a faster internet connection at the second home, I was trying to figure out an interim solution.

Joe

. I was wondering if I got another HD receiver for the vacation home, could I get HD there with the 500 or would I need another dish and how do you 'tie' those together. I can understand that people think people are trying to do something wrong so if the best answer is to go right to DISH and find out, I will do that.
"Get another HD receiver" is the key phrase. Buying a receiver that you never switch on (or pay monthly fees for) but only use at another location is liable to be heard the wrong way. It suggests the real possibility that part of your family would stay home while you and maybe some friends go to the summer home and watch TV there. That is prohibited by your user agreement(it's not illegal but will get you thrown off Dish and sued).

OTOH, if you upgrade one of the receivers in your home to HD and maybe use it there some of the time(ie pay the additional receiver fee), then when everybody leaves for the vacation home and you tell Dish and suspend service on the receiver you leave behind, you're in compliance of your user agreement.

I have a 722K and a 612. they are both installed in my home though long ago I did the paperwork for using the 612(and it's predecessors) in my travel trailer. There is only my wife and I living here but at times during the year, especially during the holidays with kids and grand kids in the house I activate the 612 as well as activating it when we travel which has always with my wife, until last year when my brother and I took a month long cross country road trip and I took the 612 while my wife watched the 722k at home.

Although there are some on this site that would call that a form of "account stacking", I think I give Dish enough money for months on end when the 612 wasn't touched at all but I continued to pay because I forget or figured we are about to leave for the desert in the trailer that I continue to sleep fine.

BYMMV

Dish 500 means you are getting 119/110 sats. Not a lot of hd channels are on these 2 sats. 129 is the majority. So you will get some hd only. Check the list for which hd channels on these 2 sats or upgrade the dish to see 129 also.

rajmarie said:
Dish 500 means you are getting 119/110 sats. Not a lot of hd channels are on these 2 sats. 129 is the majority. So you will get some hd only. Check the list for which hd channels on these 2 sats or upgrade the dish to see 129 also.

If you can't get 129 like me you can try 72.7 I had to right befor hd was going off 61.5

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts