using all three tuners at once

This isn't just you. I know one of my Hoppers does the same thing, only allowing access to 2 of the 3 tuners at times, and other times showing all in use and allowing switching between all three.
What did DIRT say when you reported it to them?

Haven't talked to them about it, sparc. Because I have access to the other 2 tuners and no-one else had complained til now, I chalked it up to either the box working as designed and something was going on in the background, or a bug that would get fixed. I will check with engineering and get back with a response.

just so i have this straight...
you are trying to use all three tuners at one time, on the "hopper" directly? You can use 1 and 2 but not 3? can you use 1 and 3?
you also mention that the "joey" CAN connect to tuner 3.

how many 'outputs' does a "hopper" have? i think there's only 2, so where would the 3rd stream of data go?

pabeader said:
just so i have this straight...
you are trying to use all three tuners at one time, on the "hopper" directly? You can use 1 and 2 but not 3? can you use 1 and 3?
you also mention that the "joey" CAN connect to tuner 3.

how many 'outputs' does a "hopper" have? i think there's only 2, so where would the 3rd stream of data go?

The hopper only has one output but it always uses 2 tuners for PIP if they are available whether you are using it or not. The only way to use 3 tuners on the hopper alone is to record programs on some of the tuners. You can record 1 and still use PIP, you can record 2 and watch 1, or you can record 3.

Joeys can also take any of the 3 tuners if they are turned on. People in my household thought they couldn't watch live tv often when we first got the new system because they weren't used to turning off the receiver when they were done watching. A Joey would be left on in a bedroom and it would show as the tuner being in use even though they turned off the tv when they left.

This isn't just you. I know one of my Hoppers does the same thing, only allowing access to 2 of the 3 tuners at times, and other times showing all in use and allowing switching between all three. It shows Tuner 3 as "Available" but changing channels or selecting it doesn't have any affect - just changes the channel on whichever tuner it's already on. I also have signal on all 3 Tuners via Diagnostics, so it's not a line issue. I'm wondering if it's reading "Available" but actually being used in the background for download, or if it's just a bug. Happened on 2.07 and still happening on 2.09.

Edit: Just saw you mentioned in your first post that it reads signal loss on that tuner, which mine doesn't do, so not sure now...but regardless, I do have times - like right now - when I also don't have access to Tuner 3, even though it reads Available.

I'm having alot of trouble replicating the loss signal on the tuner. I think I did a whole bunch of combinations of recording and PIP just trying to get on the "available" tuner. Most of the time I just can't get onto that "available" tuner. For the most part, I am having the same issue as you...Only, mine is more severe because it always happens. I never have access to that 3rd tuner, except when a joey uses it. I can never record 3 things at once. DIRT has been contacted and I am awaiting their answer.

The way to force Hopper onto the third tuner assuming no Joeys are turned on, Sling is not active and PTAT isn't in progress:

1) record the current show (press Record)
2) change channels and record this show
3) change channels and record this show

Go to Viewing Status and you should see two tuners in "Recording" and the third in "Watching and Recording".

Now you can select any of the tuners to verify proper signal from the Viewing Status screen.

If a tuner is being used for guide, other updates or for Sling use, Viewing Status will indicate this.

If PIP has been used, you will probably see two tuners in use for Watching (or Watching and Recording).

The way to force Hopper onto the third tuner assuming no Joeys are turned on, Sling is not active and PTAT isn't in progress:

1) record the current show (press Record)
2) change channels and record this show
3) change channels and record this show

Go to Viewing Status and you should see two tuners in "Recording" and the third in "Watching and Recording".

Now you can select any of the tuners to verify proper signal from the Viewing Status screen.

If a tuner is being used for guide, other updates or for Sling use, Viewing Status will indicate this.

If PIP has been used, you will probably see two tuners in use for Watching (or Watching and Recording).

This is exactly how it should work (and that's exactly how it works on both of my Hoppers.)

The above is what I thought when I was thinking the box was working as designed, and I've confirmed. All 3 tuners are not designed to be used "at will". Can use the first 2 as desired, and the third is avail if both of the other 2 are in use as above. You should be able to record 3 things at once, though.

So I'm confused, the OP wants all 3 tuners to be actively showing while not recording and no Joey's turned on?

If not, then sounds like hopper is working as intended. Only only see two scenarios you would need more than 2 tuners active without a Joey.

A) Recording 2 programs, watching another live TV
1) Put on channel, press record
2) Change channel, press record
3) Change channel

B) Recording 1 program, using pip
2) Change channel, press pip
3) Press swap, change channel

All 3 tuners cannot be in use unless you are atleast recording one thing. The receiver still considers tuners 1 and 2 as the pip tuners even if they're recording, unless you actively engage pip and change channels.

So I'm confused, the OP wants all 3 tuners to be actively showing while not recording and no Joey's turned on?

If not, then sounds like hopper is working as intended. Only only see two scenarios you would need more than 2 tuners active without a Joey.

3) Change channel

All 3 tuners cannot be in use unless you are atleast recording one thing. The receiver still considers tuners 1 and 2 as the pip tuners even if they're recording, unless you actively engage pip and change channels.

Yes. Exactly this.

3) Change channel

Well, would you look at that. Seems that all three are now working. Didn't do or change anything.

And to be clear... Those two latter scenarios you described were exactly what I tried to do and was unable to before. I even tried to record 3 shows, but it would only allow me to record 2 and then would not let me access a third to record. I would try to tune to the "available" tuner while the other two were recording, but it would just flash and stay on the tuner that it was already on. PIP would not work. I even tried to schedule from the guide and dvr menu, both failed.

In any case, it has magically fixed itself today. Hopefully it stays that way.

I'm having the exact same problem! They are sending out a technician, which i'm sure won't solve anything... no one at dish had heard of it....

Last edited:

Recent 625 update, or glitch?

tuner 2 low signal on 722k

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)