Using an existing sound bar as a center channel in a 5.1 setup

gislands

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 29, 2013
California
Hi all,
I was wondering if there would be any downside in using an existing sound bar as the center channel in a 5.1 setup. I currently have my Vizio sound bar mounted below my TV. I was thinking I could just get RCA cables, and cut off one end and strip the cable to expose the wire then just combine the wires with existing speaker wire using those little wire nuts. Anyways, I like my soundbar and would like to at least give it some use after I get a 5.1 setup going. Has anyone tried this?
Thanks,
gIslands

I don't see a problem doing that. There are even a few sound bars that can be switched to center channel mode when other speakers are added to the system. The old Mitsubishi TV I had had a soundbar-type speaker array and had a setting to set it to center channel mode. I guess it depends on the internal layout... crossovers and other electronic parts.

I've been holding back on commenting. There are so many variables involved here, like how it is connected, whether you can disable the side firing elements that provide L+R. Also timbre matching with the main speakers. If the center doesn't match the sides, you will notice the difference as sound moves across the front. Trust me, been there. Save the soundbar for the bedroom TV.

is the soundbar self powered?
are you going to send full level speaker input from an avr?

i see smoke in your future if so

Thanks for the input. I just went with a center speaker instead. The main problem (among many) as you mentioned and I read about is an amplified source meeting an amplified source. I was trying to be a cheapo but was able to pick up an inexpensive center as part of a 5.1 set that I can upgrade later. I mainly got the set to get the four satellite speakers that I am going to use for the 7.1's surround (side) and surround rear. I got bookshelf speakers to match the center and the sub. I will probably eventually upgrade the center and sub but they will work for the time being.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)