Using an HD DVR w/ an SD TV

IceRunner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Is this possible? I called Dish today to ask and they said if I upgraded to an HD DVR, I wouldn't be able to input that into my SD TV. Is this true? I thought I read somebody saying that it was possible.

I'm just impatient because I keep missing games that are on NHL Network that I previously would have seen as a Center Ice subscriber. NHLN, of course, is inexplicably only offered to HD customers by Dish.

Why upgrade to an HD-DVR?? If the DVR is the only thing you are interested, upgrade to a SD-DVR. Hooking up an HD-DVR to a SDTV is like putting race fuel into a Geo Metro.

I can only speak of the 622, but yes. It can be set up for 480i, or even HDTV for that matter, and still use the tv1 S-Video to go into an SDTV (given it has an S-Vid input), or use the composite out. That is how i transfer stuff to my 'puter to put on DVD.

By getting the HD-DVR now, even with an SD-TV you won't have to jump through hoops when you get a new HDTV for Christmas :)
Rob

I've got an SD DVR. My only real interest in upgrading to HD DVR is getting NHL Network.

The $6 fee: Is that per month?

Sounds like it's too much money for what it's worth. It's so frustrating, I have friends with SD TVs who have cable AND DirecTV who all get NHLN in SD. Dish is the only holdout! :(

Randall-Do you think the increase is due to the subs who simply get the HD receiver and hook up OTA and use the receiver for progam info and not sub to HD?

Sounds like it's too much money for what it's worth. It's so frustrating, I have friends with SD TVs who have cable AND DirecTV who all get NHLN in SD. Dish is the only holdout! :(
IceRunner,

It is possible to see HD Programming on an SD TV. In order to get NHL Network, you would have to get the programming from the $20 HD Package.

However, by getting that, you would get all of the HD Channels that Dish currently carries (that you have the SD counterpart to). So, if for instance your RSN is broadcast in HD on Dish (like FSN Detroit is for me), you would get the HD channel as well. While you would not see it in HD, you would still be able to see it down-rezzed to SD, but the picture quality would most likely be better.

I just double checked to make sure that you would be able to see it, and it does show up on SD TV's that are hooked up to the Coax jack (I have a tv in my room that can see that tuner).

We have an HD DVR and the HD Package and it is nice having the extra channels and the ability to switch to a better picture if the SD looks really bad.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff and others for the replies. I want NHL Network, but I don't think it's worth $20 plus a $6 DVR fee.

Thanks Geoff and others for the replies. I want NHL Network, but I don't think it's worth $20 plus a $6 DVR fee.

What receiver do you currently have (or would this be a new box)??? If you are upgrading from a SD-DVR to a HD-DVR, there would be no extra fee (the $6 HD Enabling Fee they mentioned was if you don't subscribe to HD Programming). If you are adding it to current, then you would have the DVR fee.

Just trying to help,
Geoff

Keep in mind the 722 HD DVR has a ton more capacity for SD recordings: 355 hours of SD capacity. That would be worth it for me. 150 hours on the 625 is just not enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)