Using Big Dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kcmo

Original poster
Aug 9, 2004
I have a 10' dish set up for C and KU band. I haven't used it for a few years, since I went to DirectTv. I fired it up the other night, and it still works fine, just not much left in the clear. I was wondering if I can use this dish with a FTA receiver. I'm mainly interested in picking up news feeds. Am I going to find much of that on FTA? Thanks in advance.

Yes you can use it, get a blind search receiver and it will find all the channels for you!

yes you will

There are TONS of feeds on KU Band...and a heckuva lot more on C-Band

check out http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-States.html
Anything that says DVB you can get with a FTA receiver
Pink is C-band
Green is KU band

There are a lot of sports feeds once college season starts back up

News is on IA6 (use to be T6)

6 Anchorage, AK Tv stations on AMC7

lucky ducky....you got a C-band dish...:(

Sounds like I'm in luck. Thanks for the info. I'm hoping to get it put together soon.

Cool! let us know how it all works out for you, maybe it will encourage lurkers to get their old C-band dish back in service!

Having problems with the set up. I used the old C/ku band receiver to move the dish to T5. Nice strong signal (about 90) and receiving clear programming on T17. Moved the C Band cable to the PanSat 2500a, set up as standard, lnb of 5150, off, off, skew 45, and search FTA and scrambled. Nothing - Getting a signal of 25, quality of 0.

Any idea what I am doing wrong? Thanks.

I don't have any idea using a BUD. Does a C-Band LNB need a 5V switching voltage to go to the LNBF??

Instead of unplugging it from the old receiver, run it through the receiver into the PANSAT.

I don't know that much about this stuff yet. I've only had mine for 3 days now.

Wheres -BERG???

You need your old receiver to swithing the channel, simply use a high frequency two side splitter, add a dc block on digital box side before plug it to the sat-in.

There is an item that allows you to run a C-Band using just the FTA receiver.

I'll see if I can find it :)

Still no luck, so I tried something different. I have Direct TV. It raining pretty good here, but I still have signal strength of about 80 on it. I saw on lyngsat where there is some music on on the Direct satellite. I hooked the cable from the Direct TV dish (single lnb, 18" oval dish) into the Pansat and still have low signal and 0 quality. Was I wrong in assuming that something would show up here? I have yet to get any quality reading at all on the Pansat from either the BUD C/KU lnbs or the Direct lnb. I get the C and KU signals with my old receiver on the BUD and Direct TV on the Direct receiver. I am totally baffled as to where my problem lies.

There is nothing available on the DirecTV satellite thats any use to a FTA receiver : ( Dishnetwork have a few music channels and a clear TV channel or two (legal), but DirecTV use a different system, man you are trying hard, you may end up having to start with a small 30" dish and work your way back!

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I'm not totally lost yet. Here's the next question. I have a very old 1 meter KU band dish. It's so old the tuner used a rotary dial to tune in the transponders. I know the LNB is shot and I don't remeber what sort of mount it used.
If I can find a way to rig a Dish or Direct lnb to it, should that work? I haven't given up on the BUD yet, but I'd like to see something, just to let me know the receiver is working ok. Thanks again for all the help.

Maybe you could, I have done it a few times as long as you can get the exact focal point for the LNB, it may take a bit of messing about, you may need a ku band LNB to pick up the FTA Ku band channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts