Status
Please reply by conversation.

ke4pym

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
NC
Hi all.

I've got an idea and I'd like to run it past you to see if it'll work.

I've got the hard wired CCK and it's working great. All of my receivers can get to the internet and all is peachy-keen.

Recently, I bought a shiny new Denon receiver and it sits next to one of the HR24's. Is there any way I could tap that DECA signal in the coax going to the HR24 and break it out to an ethernet connection that I could then, in turn, connect to the Denon?

Hi all.

I've got an idea and I'd like to run it past you to see if it'll work.

I've got the hard wired CCK and it's working great. All of my receivers can get to the internet and all is peachy-keen.

Recently, I bought a shiny new Denon receiver and it sits next to one of the HR24's. Is there any way I could tap that DECA signal in the coax going to the HR24 and break it out to an ethernet connection that I could then, in turn, connect to the Denon?

You absolutely can. You need an ethernet switch. Cat5 from the DECA into the switch, then a Cat5 from the switch to the Denon and one to the DirecTV receiver. Do keep in mind that it's not supported by DirecTV, so if something DECA related stopped working and they came out to fix it, they'd disconnect the switch from the chain. Also keep in mind that if you load up a lot of network traffic on the DECA network you'll degrade the performance of MRV if you use it.

Joseph -> I'm using the built-in DECA on the HR-24 at the moment. I was thinking something along the lines of getting another CCK, splitting the coax at the HR-24. Feed one side to the HR-24, the other to the CCK-jobbie. Then from there to the Denon (which has a 4 port hub on-board, FWIW).

I'm not worried about DTV coming to my house to fix stuff. I'm more than capable of troubleshooting and fixing my own gear. Just wanted to know if my suspicion about DECA was correct before I go drop $$$.

You don't need a CCK, you need a DECA Ethernet to coax adapter. Whether you split the coax and run 1 to the HR24 and the other to the Deca and continue to use your HR24's internal DECA, or use the DECA adapter to run Cat5/6 to an ethernet switch and then just run cat5 to the HR24 ethernet port would be a matter of personal preference I believe. Personally I would choose the later, as it involves less added hardware.

I did exactly that to add an separate network to my daughter's side of the house. We had a deca adapter for the HR22. I just unplugged the cat5 jumper from the deca to the HR22 and plugged it into the router and ran a new cat5 jumper from the router back to the HR22. We have never had a problem.

Joseph -> I'm using the built-in DECA on the HR-24 at the moment. I was thinking something along the lines of getting another CCK, splitting the coax at the HR-24. Feed one side to the HR-24, the other to the CCK-jobbie. Then from there to the Denon (which has a 4 port hub on-board, FWIW).

I'm not worried about DTV coming to my house to fix stuff. I'm more than capable of troubleshooting and fixing my own gear. Just wanted to know if my suspicion about DECA was correct before I go drop $$$.

Yep, that will work just fine. Just make sure you get a DirecTV SWM approved splitter, not a cable TV splitter. DECA is the same thing as MoCA in the cable world (DECA is just DirecTV's marketing name for MoCA), it just operates in a different frequency range so that it works with satellite instead of cable. At the heart of it, though, it's simply ethernet traffic over coax. There's nothing special, at an IP level, of a MoCA/DECA connection. The difference is at "layer 1" of the OSI model, and with the CCK serving as a bridge your devices never even know the difference.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts