Using Dish Network Dish for Voom

Sarcoptic

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
Bondurant, IA
I am currently have dish network and am switching to voom. I understand the location to the satellite is very similar in the 2 services. What I was wondering is if it was possible to my dish network dish to get the voom signals? I understand its wrong just wondering if its possible or if there is any reason why you couldnt. Same with direct tv....could I repoint my dish network dish to get the direct tv signals.....this is more of a learning question and I would be greatful for a detailed explaination behind how the actual dishes differ. Thanks!

The dishes are all mostly the same. The lnb's are different. I had a tripple lnb direc dish and one of them is compatible with Voom. After getting signal with it the installer decided the internal switch would not work with the OTA so he stuck the voom dish up there. I dont know about dish.

Dish has a sat at 61.5 deg also. I think that they actually had to give up some space to Voom. That position has a lot of foreign lang channels as well as some locals overflow. Also, CBS-HD is there currently.
I have seen posts where subs have added Voom alongside Dish. They got the installer to ADD the Voom LNB to the 61.5 DishNet dish (there is open spot there on LNB area) and it worked.

However, Voom is might have to switch everyone to a bigger dish anyway when Rainbow 2 is available to capture the different angles. So adding LNB would be temporary.

Recent info here:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=37134

Usually dish looks at 110* and 119* birds for main service, and Super dish's may look at 3rd bird for locals at 105* or 121*. Dish also uses a bird at the 61.5* location (This is the same bird that VOOM uses) to offer some forien language programs and CBS HiDef channel out of NYC. If you current dish network currently has a dish pointed at the 61.5* bird then that dish can be used for Voom also, but you will need to be careful on what type of LNB that dish is using. If it is using the older legacy style of dishnetwork LNB's you will be fine, But if it uses the newer DishPro style LNB (DP LNB's do frquency stacking, legacy lnb's do not) you will have to change it to a legacy style LNB.

I am currently doing the oposite of what you are looking to do, I use my Voom dish pointed at the 61.5* bird to allow my Dish Network 811 HiDef stb to get the CBS hiDef signal out of NYC. This works well for me becuase i get a digital signal on all my major OTA stations ABC/CBS/NBC/PBS/FOX, but only ABC/FOX/PBS do true hidef currently, so i use the Voom dish to also pull in CBS hiDef for me on Dish Networks tranponder on the 61.5 bird.

richard_rd said:
Dish also uses a bird at the 61.5* location (This is the same bird that VOOM uses) to offer some forien language programs and CBS HiDef channel out of NYC.
Just a small correction: The same slot, but not the same bird. VOOM has its own Rainbow-1 satellite there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts