Using Dish TurboHD along with Comcast basic cable?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

maf2k8

Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
chicago
Hello, New member here. I hope this is in the right section, If not please excuse me.

I currently have 2 HD tvs, 1 in the bedroom 1 in living room.

At the moment all i have is basic comcast cable ( cable from wall to tv, no box at all ) and i only have this in the living room.

I only pay 10.00 a month for it, so i am not complaining. I get about 75 channels or so and pretty much the locals in HD.

I called comcast but they are WAY to high to upgrade to HD box for 2 rooms.

So i was looking at TurboHD, i can get it in 2 rooms, for 29.99 a month.

I was thinking to just keep my comcast for 10.00 and then get Turbo for 29.99, PLUS i will have it in 2 rooms.

If needed, i can just switch between comcast and Turbo for certain channels. I am not much into movie channels and the bronze turbo looks as if it has all the channels i watch.

Would this be a good idea? Any comments or thoughts about doing something like this?

Also, how is the TurboHD service? roughly about how many HD channels would i be looking at? 20?30?40?

i figure 39.99 a month, for 2 rooms in HD for basic cable and HD is a good deal, If anyone could comment that would be great.

Also, i notice some rebates on the top of the page, could i use these also? or do i need to order a higher package?

thanks so much!

yes i am aware of that, but as i was saying, using it in conjuction with comcast basic? and just switching betwen the two? will that work?

DISH Network - 1.888.825.2557

^List of Turbo HD channels. Keep in mind that does reflect the upcoming price increases.

To get HD in 2 rooms, you will need 2 boxes, and thus incur an extra receiver fee. There is also an extra fee for DVR service if you desire that.

Still will probably be cheaper than Comcast HD.

Talk to Claude at Dishstore about the rebates. He is a sponsor of this site at can help you get the best deal.

yes i am aware of that, but as i was saying, using it in conjuction with comcast basic? and just switching betwen the two? will that work?

Sure, if you can manage to do the switch. Dish boxes do not interface with basic cable, of course. And each will need their own coax.

I'm quite shocked that you can get 75 channels from Comcast for only $10. Usually, such low priced 'lifeline' services only include the local channels and maybe a handful of cable channels. Getting 75 channels from cable is usually considered 'standard' service and normally ranges from $40 to $60, depending on the provider. Something sounds 'fishy' here...

Anyway, it's easy to switch your TV inputs between multiple services. I have my TW cable box connected via a component connection and my Dish box connected via HDMI. If you have newer model TV's, they you should have several INPUT choices that you can easily swap between just by using your TV remote control. So you can have your cable via the coax input and a Dish box via component connections.

You should also be able to get Dish service in two rooms with one box (no 2nd room / 2nd box fee necessary). Dish offers dual-room receivers, where the receivers have two tuners and each room is assigned one of the tuners (or both rooms can watch the same progams on the same tuners at the same time). However, the dual room boxes are HD in one room and SD in the other. For HD in two rooms, you do need two boxes and you would have to pay the $5 fee for the 2nd box.

ok one last question...i am going to place my order, but i noticed the rebate offer at top of page.

To get that rebate do i need to order THRU satelliteguys? or can i call dish directly ? and still submit the rebate?

ok one last question...i am going to place my order, but i noticed the rebate offer at top of page.

To get that rebate do i need to order THRU satelliteguys? or can i call dish directly ? and still submit the rebate?

There are instruction in the thread. Basically, go through Dishstore. There is a link at the top of the page.

Tell him satelliteguys sent you.

I currently have Comcast basic with DISH. I too get around 75 digital channels (clear QAM) with my $7 basic Comcast sub. Not fishy at all. However most are local networks (including sub channels), public access, and shopping. Only a couple are what you'd consider "cable channels" (Gameshow, GAC, and used to get DIY) and it wouldn't surprise me if they disappeared someday. At least 30 of the channels I get are On Demand that you can't control. Can be interesting sometimes though. :D

DISH doesn't offer locals in my DMA (Springfield MA) in either SD or HD. I get 6 networks in HD as part of the 75 Comcast basic channels. My only wish was that the 722 could record QAM like it does ATSC. I can see why they wouldn't want to support a competitor though.

I say go for it. They work great together.

Can this basic cable feed be connected to the ViP 722 "OTA input" and tune in these 75 channels. What channels can be brought in like that? Would I be able to record these channels?

Thanks.
Flicks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)