Using Media Center Computer to record from 811

crip

Original poster
May 13, 2004
Fort Worth, Texas
I have set up a Media Center PC in my bedroom and plan to use this to replace my VCR (and serve as my DVD) for recording programing from the 811 (unfortunately I can only use the S-video or composite out from the 811 so the picture is dark, waiting for next weeks fix).

The trouble I am having is setting the PVR function in the PC to change the channels on the 811. Has anyone out there used the Media Center PC for a PVR with the 811 and got this programming figured out?

crip said:
I have set up a Media Center PC in my bedroom and plan to use this to replace my VCR (and serve as my DVD) for recording programing from the 811 (unfortunately I can only use the S-video or composite out from the 811 so the picture is dark, waiting for next weeks fix).

The trouble I am having is setting the PVR function in the PC to change the channels on the 811. Has anyone out there used the Media Center PC for a PVR with the 811 and got this programming figured out?

I have been toying around with the idea. From what I have read, I know that the 811 must be hooked up to the dish, then an output feed (DVI, RCA, S-video) must then go into the PC to be "captured". While Media Center PC's video cards can change Cable channels, they cannot change satellite channels, because they cant decode the info (that's why they go through the Sat box first) So essentially, on the media center PC there is only 1 channel to watch through satellite and it shows whatrever the sat is tuned to. To change the channels and have the PVR do it for you, you need an IR blaster configured and connected to the computer. This will learn the remote codes for the 811 and and essentially become a remote control for your Sat box that your computer is programmed to use. Then it will change the channel of the Sat box based on where you tell it to and when. I was looking at building my own PVR and using Snapstream. This is how I would have to do it. Hopw this helps

I have a 4922 hooked up to a MCPC and it changes the channels just fine. You do have the IR transmitter glued over the IR receiver on the 811 right? Use a flashlight to see inside the 811's front panel to make sure its right over the IR eye.

Also, your 811 has to be set to Remote Address 1 for it to work. When setting up a MCPC, it asks you to push a few buttons on your Dish remote and it figures out what codes to use. The 811 remote does NOT trasmit IR, so this wont work. You need to get another Dish remote and set the 811 to RA1 and use that remote to program the MCPC.

But, all this is for naught since the 811 is soooo dark on S-Video!

StevenD said:
The 811 remote does NOT trasmit IR, so this wont work. You need to get another Dish remote and set the 811 to RA1 and use that remote to program the MCPC.

The latest 811 software does have a mode for setting up a learning remote.

Menu ... 6 ... 3 ... Teach Remote

Keith.

One of default MCE dish network codes worked fine for me when hooking up my MCE machine to my 811. I forget which one though.

And the dark svideo picture is also my biggest issue with the 811. Makes it tough to run MCE.

i do not have a store bought mcpc hence i am only using xp pro but i do have a pvr and such but i need ablaster or remote any suggestions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)