This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Using RV DSS Mounts for Ku FTA Dishes?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

IA6Newspath

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
Just curious if anyone has toyed with the possibility of using an RV dish mount with a small Ku FTA dish (like the Winegard 76cm.). I know that some RVs have Dish Network/DirecTV dishes mounted on the top, and as such, the RVs are equipped with a mount which appears to allow the azimuth and elevation to be manually adjusted separately. I'm not sure if the adjustments are mechanical or electrical - it might depend on the type of mount used. In any event, I realize that even the smallest Ku FTA dishes are larger than the average DSS dish, but just the same, it would be cool if it was possible to attach a small FTA dish to a mount like this and have the ability to adjust the azimuth and elevation separately (as opposed to the STAB or SG2100 motors which have a single "arc" of movement). Granted, such a mount wouldn't be compatible with DiSEqC or USALS, but I've always thought that it would be really neat to have some sort of manually adjustable mount for a small Ku FTA dish that would allow azimuth and elevation to be adjusted separately, especially for a temporary/mobile setup.

Do a search on the forums for "Poor Man's H-H motor", you'll find some interesting threads about setting the mounting pole on an angle so that the dish tracks the arc when manually panned. Never tried this myself, maybe a project for the day when I finish all of my unfinished projects

Status
Please reply by conversation.