Using the 1100c

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Dr. Pepper 6044

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 10, 2010
South Georgia
In all my experience with dish programming, I've not used any recording. I've installed and used 3 1100c's and temporarily experimented with recording. I've also moved them around from location to location for the adjusting I've done with other users. The receivers work just fine in non record mode.

I now have 2 users who've voiced a specific and definite plan to record with new 1100c's. In preparation for those applications, I'm now in the process of gaining experience in the time machine and record process. I'm able to format a jump drive, record files, and play them back on the 1100c as well as in Media Player Classic.

One issue exists that I desire the opinion of experienced users on.

If the jump drive is in place and the time machine is active, warm color tones (flesh tones especially) change from pale to flushed at a time interval of less than one second. If the receiver is rebooted with the drive in place and not activated, the color changes don't occur. If I play back the recording on the 1100c, the colors do change. If I play the recorded files in Media Player Classic, the colors don't change.

I did this experimentation here at home with a new 1100c and 2 different jump drives. I have a new, unpacked 1100c but haven't opened it up to compare. I haven't found this problem with the older one at church which uses a 15g hdd supplied by Glorystar some time ago. (I wasn't looking for this issud when I set it up there today.)

Any suggestions?

What is a jump drive? New term to me.
What output, RF or?
I have never seen that, but I do not use time machine, just timers,
It should not be power related because my power is very"dirty".

POP

Oops, sorry. The little usb flash plug in devices have many names such as thumb drive, etc.
"Flash Drive - USB 2.0 Thumb Drive 16GB" is the designation of the unit supplied by Glorystar.

I use s-video out from the receiver.

Thanks, Bill

OK. Thumb drive I understand... The time machine function records to the same thumb drive as the recording does. I do remember having all sorts of challenges when I tried to use the time machine, and since I do not pause or rewind live TV I decided not to use it. I have filled 3 - 500GB hard drives with out seeing that kind of problems (several other problems though) and also at least 57 16GD Thumb drives with only 3 of them giving me any problems.

I expect the micro will not have this challenge, and I will suggest the next box has two usb ports on the front - so I could choose which drive to record which series on. Also then would allow time machine recording, or continuous recording on one drive and individual timers or programs on the other. On the front so I can change drives easily.

haha.

The 2 thumb drives I used last night are a 32g SanDisk and a cheap Walmart sourced 4g PNY.

I like the way you talk, Pop. The MicroHD seems to be an excellent platform to grow in flexibility!

I'll try another receiver and hdd. If this issue is isolated to this one receiver, is Brian and company up to a warranty replacement? I have a situation with a dish I can't get to work at any customer's place yet. I've tried at 3 places.. kinda embarassing.

I have read about the issues with 500g hdd's and found that any that have been proven to work are not made anymore and therefore in short supply with the attendant price elevation. 64g thumb drives are available for around 30-40 bucks. Amazon has 240ish external usb ssd's. Wonder if one would work with the 1100c?

Thanks bunches for your help.

Bill

It appears; I suspect; I am guessing; since all the problems I had with the 500 GB hard drives started showing up around 265 to 280 GB that there may be a physical or access speed limit on either the drive or the unit. When they stop recording I dub the 16 GB sticks to the HD and finish filling them that way. So far they play on the 1100c OK. My new computer is fast enough to play the files also! Copying from the USB to the HardDrive almost seems to be in real time.

The USB sticks I have had the MOST success with are the COSTCO sandisc 16GB sticks that sell on special for about $11. I triple format them, and since doing that I have not had even one failure with them. I have never been able to fill a PNY.

My dual drive suggestion is not for the microHD. That will be for the next generation, and NOT micro. The micro is for RVers and Apartment dwellers... and retired folks who are on fixed incomes, or already have too little room for too much JunQue. Although if it would fit in the micro, I would not complain.

Thanks, Pop for your candid comments. I also read your and Iceberg's responses to the other poster. You guys are very helpful.

I've been pleasantly surprised how well these new 16g SanDisk drives have worked.

The originally mentioned color changes persist.

I'm going in the morning to install a new dish and 2 1100's to users who haven't used Glorystar before. They are used to Dish Network's DVR. I'm afraid they will expect the 1100's to work the same. I have been able to record beginning about 3 seconds from initiation and then save to the thumb drive and then archive/view as needed. I have also created a time machine partition.

I have not been able to do anything with the time machine partition. I assumed by my experience with a hdd Magnavox dvd recorder and the Dish DVR that I could browse the acquired programming held in time machine. Otherwise, what can be done with time machine temporary storage?

The Time Machine function is only for time shift viewing. Time Machine recordings cannot be converted to DVR recordings using the STB.

We are also aware of rv1pop's post that a PC can somehow save the Time Machine file, but have never tried.

Thanks, SatAV.

I understand that "Time machine recordings cannot be saved." I would like to view what time machine has been "...automatically and continuously recorded and available for review...".

In Dish DVR and Magnavox 515 hdd, I can just forward and reverse to view the stream of recorded programming. Maybe I'm just not pushing the right buttons to back up and review it on the 1100c.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

The install at friends' house went well. This is one of the three places I couldn't get a useable signal quality with the suspect dish I have. The new dish locked and provided very good sq. The two 1100's worked fine except for the issues described above. The color change was even more pronounced than here at our house.

The new owners are relatively pleased, but would love to see the color shift resolved.

:) Bill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts