Using the HD/DVR 921 with a DVD recorder.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

brianworkman

Original poster
Dec 15, 2003
Does anybody know if the 921 can be used with a dvd recorder? I am guessing that if you play a recorded program from the DVR, you can then record it to the DVD recorder. But with the two firewire and the usb connections surely there is a better way than this.

Not to sound like a complete newbie, but can you explain a little further how you are saying that they would connect. I was looking for DVD recorder that encoded Dolby 5.1 to the disc and encode HD signals. Sony's high end one is the closest with a DVI input and output.

brianworkman said:
Not to sound like a complete newbie, but can you explain a little further how you are saying that they would connect. I was looking for DVD recorder that encoded Dolby 5.1 to the disc and encode HD signals. Sony's high end one is the closest with a DVI input and output.

Perhaps Don will elaborate a little further, but it's my understanding that "Dishwire" will not be enabled at the 921's release and when it is enabled (I'm an optimist :D ), it will only work with the JVC D-VHS units - at least, at first.

Don's post presents the only real option of recording to DVD for now.

Thanks,

I talked to a friend of mine today that work's for Dish Netowrk's customer service department. He also said that the firewire "dishwire" will not work on the front end. DishNetwork is trying to get a ruling as to what the legal obligation is for them giving out a device that could recording in HD and those programs then showing up on the internet.

That said, I would still like to record HD programs from the DVR to a dvd recorder that can record in HD. We will see what the summer brings I guess.

Y/C video is also known as S-Video (the "Y" is the luminance signal -- brightness -- and the "C" is the Chroma or color signal). Analog audio is just that: the left and right channels.... the "white and red" RCA cables. Unless you have a WVHS recorder, you'll not be able to record off the component video output. There is no (easy) way to record DVI signals other than through the DishWire (IEEE-1394 or Firewire) signals which are not to be enabled in the initial release of the software and which will only be recordable via a 5C/HDCP compliant device (to prevent theft of a high-definition perfect digital copy unless authorized). There is no DVD recorder (commercially) on the market that will record HD signals. Even if you could find one, the current DVD format would not have enough capacity to hold very much of a HD program. Although technically _possible_ to (one day) record HD onto HD-DVDs, the movie studios will prevent that from happening so that one will not be able to steal a movie and duplicate it (think Napster & peer-to-peer music file sharing and all the ruckus that has caused).

Also, to my knowledge, no US consumer DVD recorder on the market today can record anything beyond 2-channel stereo analog audio. No 5.1 capabilities available.

Tim

There ARE some DVD recorder models that will record with component input (Philips at least, I think). I suppose that would make for the best image in DVD quality (though certainly not in HD res). But all the rest above stands correct.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)