uverse tv over another isp?

Sori4mvp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but I received two different answers from two different reps. I love my UVerseTV but I'm not thrilled with just getting 18 Mbps. So my question is this, can I go with my local cable company for 100 mbps of internet and then just use my Uverse TV over that and cancel the phone and internet part of the Uverse. I'[m pretty sure that would work okay, right?

I have no idea why you think that this would work. Why would the two competitors work together on that? Uverse is not an OTT service. You can have both, but not combined.

The entirety of Uverse TV cannot be accessed through the Internet proper. As long as you subscribe, you'll have access to their "Anywhere" content:

http://uverse.com/live

If you wait a little while the FCC may force AT&T to up your speed to at least 25Mbps as part of the DIRECTV acquisition.

The reason I asked originally is I had a two week period where my speed was 2 Mbps or less and the TV was choppy and pixalating. They thought it was an in house wiring issue and being that I'm I'm a condo made it seem like it would be difficult to fix and also costly for me. That's when I called att as I didn't want cable TV but figured I can have cable internet installed and just keep the uverse TV. One rep at att did say it would work. Since this time they did finally fix the internet issue, but just wishing I had faster speeds.

Customer Service reps are notorious for a couple of things:

1. Not knowing much about what they're talking about; they're paid to read scripts, not figure out problems
2. Going off-script and making up answers to keep customers happy

I would wager that if you posed the same question to three CSRs in just about any Customer Service outfit that at least one in three answers would be in conflict with reality not to mention in conflict with one or both other answers.

cant see why this wouldnt work, as long as they dont share facilities. uverse tv from the phone line and cable internet from the cable line. both would have their own modem or box.

That's not what the OP is asking the way I read it. He's asking if he can have uverse over his cable HSI setup.

If he simply wants both installed, then sure, no issues.

Ultimately what I wanted was to keep uverse TV as a stand alone and get internet through my cable company.

Ultimately what I wanted was to keep uverse TV as a stand alone and get internet through my cable company.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28719124-Uverse-with-Comcast-Internet-Access

I found the above info which makes me thinks it will work. Basically I want to cancel uverse internet and keep just uverse TV and then have my 100mbps cable internet.
You can cancel your Uverse Internet, then call your internet company you want to use and have them run thier lines and set all thier equipment up just fine.

I highly doubt that another company will come out and share a U Verse line or any other companies line ... I think thats what your wanting to do in the long run.

I have UVerse TV without UVerse Internet ( I use WOW Cable for my internet ) - Uverse TV still comes over it's own line, you just don't have access to the internet on that line, and only the video for Uverse is fed through it. It does not touch you Cable Internet from another company, All that bandwidth is yours!