V* aside, will E* ever catch D* in national HD offerings?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

voomontheloon

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
I am about to move, and seriously considering switching back to D* after that (I was a D* subscriber for some 15 years before switching to E* when the latter started to offer V*). Before I make my decision, I'd welcome some thoughts on one question.

One can of course expect that E* will be adding some new national HD channels in the coming months. But my basic question is whether in the longer term (say, the next 2-3 years), E* will ever catch D* in this regard. Or is it doomed to play the catch up game forever?

It is of course also true that E* has V*, but the programming of V*'s movie channels has become such a disappointment to me that it pretty much negated my original reason for switching to E*.

I am not familiar at all with E*'s prospective bandwidth capacity. So any thoughts on the above question would be appreciated.

Just curious, what are you basing this on? D* is close to 100 now and E*'s at what about 78? With the channels Charlies listed as 'may' be added that would bring E* close to D* and the 100 channel mark Charlie said E* would have. D*'s announced that they would carry a bunch more of the HBO/Cineman multiplex, ABC Family and a coupe other, we're assuming once D11 goes active. D*'s also announced that they would launch D12 taking their HD capacity to 200 channels. Not saying that E* won't match D* just wanting to know what you've E* announce that would match that capacity?

Probably. "Ever" is a very long time. Dish has plans to put up new satellites, and migrate totally to MPEG-4 compression. There'll be plenty of room on both providers soon enough. And having "capacity" doesn't mean that there are channels to fill that capacity yet.

I think the number of channels offered by each is going to see-saw back and forth. E* had more for a while and D* subs were crying in their beer. Now D* has pulled ahead and E* subs are not happy. Take a failed sat launch into the mix and D* gets an advantage over E* for a little longer time period.

In the end I think they'll both have whatever HD is available. A lot of the channels coming on line don't have a ton of HD content.

My current opinion is.... Summer is coming. Go outside and play!

:)

E* will probably lag behind D* in "HD" labeled channels, but not in total hours of real HD content.

You said a mouth full concerning content. Not all HD is created equally, nor broadcast to HD specs. Sci-Fi has been a dissapointment to this respect, so far.

You said a mouth full concerning content. Not all HD is created equally, nor broadcast to HD specs. Sci-Fi has been a dissapointment to this respect, so far.

I disagree. I've been very happy with Sci-Fi HD. There is some true HD content on it, but the real nice thing is the SD shows are shown in true SD. They look really good, without the compression artifacts of the regular channel.

I disagree. I've been very happy with Sci-Fi HD. There is some true HD content on it, but the real nice thing is the SD shows are shown in true SD. They look really good, without the compression artifacts of the regular channel.

Don't take me wrong. ANY possible HD is better than none. I'm hoping that more HD material will fill the bandwith. Patience is required on my part. I would be happy to see C-span in HD.....

This is why it is rather pointless to discuss who will have more HD channels. As long as the channel that has your show broadcasts it in the format that makes you happy, nothing else matters.

I prefer channels that present programming in OAR without commercial interruption. When it isn't possible to avoid commercials, I will dvr several eps and then watch when I can enjoy as many eps at one time as I care to. I'm recording a few shows now that I dump onto an EHD to watch later this summer when most tv consists of bovine resequenced vegetable matter.

Probably. "Ever" is a very long time. Dish has plans to put up new satellites, and migrate totally to MPEG-4 compression. There'll be plenty of room on both providers soon enough. And having "capacity" doesn't mean that there are channels to fill that capacity yet.

What I'd like to know for is exactly what/where all of E*'s current and new satellites would be going. Scott's rumored Eastern Arc sounds like a new system that would be duplicating many national HD channels, not adding new, and the same would be the same for the Western Arc system, all the while they need to keep the current system going for people until they migrate to either of the new systems.

Edit: Sorry, eastern/western arc will be adding HD capacity but from what I've seen E* announce it's not near the channel numbers that D* has said they will be able to provide once D11 and D12 are operational. Just very curious how they can build eastern and western arc systems, plus keep current system up and running and still come up with the HD capacity that D* says they'll have for HD channels.

Last edited:
What I'd like to know for is exactly what/where all of E*'s current and new satellites would be going. Scott's rumored Eastern Arc sounds like a new system that would be duplicating many national HD channels, not adding new, and the same would be the same for the Western Arc system, all the while they need to keep the current system going for people until they migrate to either of the new systems.

Edit: Sorry, eastern/western arc will be adding HD capacity but from what I've seen E* announce it's not near the channel numbers that D* has said they will be able to provide once D11 and D12 are operational. Just very curious how they can build eastern and western arc systems, plus keep current system up and running and still come up with the HD capacity that D* says they'll have for HD channels.

exaclty. and with the satellite launch failures and delays dish will be like this for a while. this is why i'm considering switching. if it's not launch problems it's negotiation problems with charlie. mucho excuses.

You can label 500 channels "HD", but that doesn't put HD content on them.

Besides, most people don't watch 500 channels to begin with.

exaclty. and with the satellite launch failures and delays dish will be like this for a while. this is why i'm considering switching. if it's not launch problems it's negotiation problems with charlie. mucho excuses.

Unless you are Charlie, your comment is purely speculative. No one knows this as fact.

You can label 500 channels "HD", but that doesn't put HD content on them.

Besides, most people don't watch 500 channels to begin with.

But if there is more then 100 channels with HD content on them, will E* be able to carry them since Charlie's only been saying 100 channels???

There are only 5 nat channels that are watched in my home and they are Espn news, Sci Fi, Usa, Nick, and Toon Disney.

I want the HD version of these to get the content at the best quality avail. even if its not 100 percent HD.

DirecTV has 30 channels Dish doesn't. Dish has 15 channels DirecTV doesn't (VOOM). So there is only a 15 channel difference. And of DirecTV's 30 channels, 9 are premium movie channels, 5 are sports, 3 are news and 4 are children's networks. That leaves 9 channels that the average viewer will watch and furthermore 3 of them do not even show HD yet. So we aren't in that bad of a position as some might think.

I think when you put numbers out there it seems worse then it really is. When you take away the movie channels, ppvs, and etc its alot closer then the number suggest.

Its still personal preference and which company you save the most money with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts