V00M's fate

phatbastard

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 29, 2005
So what do you think sealed the deal of v00m's demise? I personally think it was the trip to Colorado with The main man Mr. Dolan and E* not budging from their commitement. Just my 2 cents. Any thoughts?

how about using sears to market the service. whenever i went there and asked about voom it would always be off in a corner and only on 2 or 3 sets. If you were to ask a sales rep about it they were clueless. I think that if they could have got into best buy, circuit city, etc and have it displayed throughout the store they would have done much better. also if they allowed self installs, let the subs just go down to the local electronics store and have the boxes and dishes there. I also feel that they should have activated-reactivate old boxes, so if someone got a boxes even if it was off ebay they could still get svc.

I think it was Chuck Dolan waiting until AFTER the sale of the satellite to E*. If he had reacted and raised a fuss sooner, he would have had the satellite and could have raised the funds to continue "VOOM LLC". Without the satellite the whole thing collapsed.

I don't understand why he did not supervise closely until AFTER the satellite sale!!!

I would have to say the sale of Rainbow1 was down fall for Voom. If Mr Dolan didn't let his son sale the satellite to E* he could have raised the funds to buy Voom with some help from his friends. I too can't understand why he didn't keep a close eye on his son.

I'll add my few thoughts:
First was not creating an awareness of VOOM. I'd have run that short "ad", of the eye catching VOOM logo coming up as flowers through the grass, on every national TV feed I could afford (that few seconds even looks good on my regular TVs). Create a mystique of "what is this all about".
Second, I'd have gone with a leased equipment plan from the start too. Figure most HDTV buyers have just forked out thousands of dollars for a TV and if they have D or E or cable already, why make a move (until you realize you just crave more HD). I took VOOM for the $1.00 install and leased equipment (and got hooked and would have kept the service for years), but I couldn't have purchased all the VOOM equipment/install after buying, and stretching my budget, for my Pioneer Plasma.
Third, I had a very good install, but I understand how having a poor install program could have hurt VOOM.
Fourth, the DVR (as a lease) was I think essential, but it was better to bring it out later when it worked rather then too soon and piss everyone off like E did with their first HD DVR.
Fifth, all of the above probably could have been less important or corrected if the Rainbow 1 satellite and uplink center were still available. I still don't know how C. Dolan let that happen if he had any thoughts at all of keeping this thing alive.

Don't forget the DVR ... There were so many little things missing from Voom. They had a lot of big things ... plenty of channels in HD ... but it is the little things that will get you.

If Voom would have started in October 2003 with half the HD and more 'cable favorites' they would have pulled more customers from D*, E* and cable. If they would have marketed themselves to all 108 million US TV Households and not limit themselves to the then 1% with HDTV it would have helped. E* and D* have done more for promoting HDTV than V* ... they reached out to their millions of customers and offered upgrades to HDTV - keep the E*/D* service you enjoy AND they will sell you the full HD setup.

V* marketed like an add on. Got a HDTV? Give us a call and we will add something to watch in HD. Got satellite or cable? Give us a call and we will add the HD. (Their cable favorites were lacking enough that many people kept cable or another satellite to fill in the 'cable favorites'.)

So many things that in hindsight COULD have been done better. But the final nail was selling the satellite. If that sale was IMMEDIATELY followed with a move to 72 they might have remained in business. We may never know if the 'financers' refused to accept a move to 72 or if C Dolan refused to give up on 61.5 . In either case, Voom went down with a fight.

If one really wanted to delve into history they could look at reasons why RainbowDBS didn't get a service up until Oct 2003. They had the transponder assignments for MANY years before that. Part of their eventual failure needs to be assigned to their near failure to get any service up at all.

So many little things. Fortunately Cablevision IS good at serving content to others to sell. May Voom 21 live on!

JL

I tried to get VOOM here in the Seattle area, but due to the elevation of the 61.5 sat, the only spot where I could see the sat was in a horse pasture behind my house :eek: I think that IF the sat was higher on the horizon, there would have been a lot more West coast subs, me included.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts