Vacation home rules

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bsobel

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
Hi,

I've seen alot of conflicting informaiton about what DishNetwork does and does not allow for owners of vacation homes (as I just purchased one, I'm trying to figure this out).

My primary residence has 4 receivers (2 721's and 2 508's). In an ideal world I would like to add 2 more receivers for use at my vacation home (we will NOT be at both locations at the same time). I asked Dish (I have every intention of doing this legally) and they simply said no, I would need a second account. Since I'm already paying them over $100 per month, the idea of a second bill for the same amount (for use maybe 4-5 days a month) isn't that appealing.

Is what the customer rep told me correct (I should note she originally said it was no problem, put me on hold and came back and said no, can't do that). How do other users handle this?

Best,
Bill

By the rules for DISH service the answer is correct. Why don't you get a DISH dish 500 set up at your vacation home and then take one or two of your receivers with you for the 4-5 days you want service?

Anonymous said:
By the rules for DISH service the answer is correct. Why don't you get a DISH dish 500 set up at your vacation home and then take one or two of your receivers with you for the 4-5 days you want service?

That's the perfect answer. It's really no different than an RV owner who does the same thing. I have a neighbor who does just that when goes out on the road.

Actually, Dish claims RV owners need a second account, if they are going to to use equipment at home and in their RV.

jerryez said:
Actually, Dish claims RV owners need a second account, if they are going to to use equipment at home and in their RV.

The guy who installed my neighbor, and me for that matter, sold him a portable Dish 300 and advised him to take one of his receivers on his trips.

As you can imagine this has been asked before and has received various answers. I can give you an answer based on fact - sort of! Quite awhile ago on Charlie Chat the question was asked about the family going to a vacation home and Charlie clearly said the best answer was to bring the receiver back and forth between the homes. (What he said is fact, if he is right is the "sort of" part as we know he does not always give the correct answer)
To me, the original question asked here would not quite be what Charlie said could be done, that is having receivers at both homes at the same time, even if no one was home at one of the homes. To me, I would not think the spirit of the contract would be violated if you took a receiver with you to your vacation home, leaving no one at your regular home to use the system, and only your family were at the vacation home. (Meaning you are not renting out the home and some other family were using it) This to me is an advantage of having the Dish over Cable.

When I signed the RV waiver ( about 4 years ago) there was a stipulation that the "RV" receiver could not be removed and used at your residence. You also had to state that you had to permanently mount a dish on the RV. I don't remember if you had to designate one of your receivers as the "RV" one.

If you follow this logic that means you could not remove it from the RV to use it in a vaction home.

Murray

mjschuyler said:
When I signed the RV waiver ( about 4 years ago) there was a stipulation that the "RV" receiver could not be removed and used at your residence. You also had to state that you had to permanently mount a dish on the RV. I don't remember if you had to designate one of your receivers as the "RV" one.

If you follow this logic that means you could not remove it from the RV to use it in a vaction home.

Murray

That is not the same thing so not the same logic. The RV waiver is a different contract because of the distant nets. They do not want you to get the waiver then use it in a fixed residence as that is not the reason for an RV account. There is no such condition in the regular contract. There was no mention of the RV waiver in the original post.

Tampa8, you are correct I forgot the intention of the RV waiver was so a sub could see network programming while on vacation. As Rosann Rosanna Dana would say "never mind".

Murray

Carrying receivers back and forth

I originally subscribed to Dish because I bought a vacation home. I was ready to give up on cable anyway, and that pushed me over. For several years, I carried a receiver back and forth when I went there, but when I decided to replace an old receiver with a High Def receiver, I decided to just move the old receiver to my vacation home and leave it there. I don't know whether this technically violates Dish's agreement, but I do know that the authorized Dish dealer I bought my system and all subsequent receivers from specifically told me this was fine, and that many people do it. For me the equation is simple -- I can't watch in two places at once. Dish is getting $5 a month from me for the extra receiver that it wouldn't get otherwise. I don't ever order PPV movies or events, so the fact the receiver is obviously not connected to a phone line does not impact its operation.

To put it simply, if Dish ever finds a way to "crack down" on this harmless practice I'll drop Dish faster than Charlie can promise the wrong date for new equipment.

Actully the harmless practice that they are trying to crack down on is 2 or more families running on a single account.

Re: Carrying receivers back and forth

Forward said:
To put it simply, if Dish ever finds a way to "crack down" on this harmless practice I'll drop Dish faster than Charlie can promise the wrong date for new equipment.

To put it simply, If Dish finds a way to "crack down" and decides you are stealing service they will drop you! I know we may think of it as harmless, but the contract is quite clear and but for charlie saying you could take a receiver back and forth there would be no question that it is not allowed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)