varying Video mbps question

mwdxer1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 3, 2015
Seaside Oregon
The Portland OR market is about to make a change with more stacking of channels. The old rule of solid Mbps was pretty self explanatory. The more the Mbps the better the pq was. Now they use a varying system. Example:
2.1 KATU 5-14 Mbps
2.2 METV 2-6 Mbps
2.3 Comet .4-4.5 Mbps
2.4 Stadium 2.45-5.45 Mbps

Soon they are stacking the local CW KRCW 32.1 HD on to that. How does the varying Mbps work? Using this system is the pq better?
Used to be running anything under 1 Mbps was terrible. A few stations still use the same Mbps, but most have moved to this varying system. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Basically just like satellite it'll be adjusted variably on the fly with software determining what channels are showing and which channels need more bandwidth. Talking heads on the nightly news won't need as much as an action show or sporting event.

Reactions: N5XZS and TheKrell
Statistical multiplexing. It can work rather well if not all of the channels demand their bandwidth simultaneously. But if several do need that bandwidth simultaneously, then it can look like hell. Good luck.

Thanks. This should be interesting. Most cities have ION with like one channel in 720p and the others in SD. I think most run 6 channels. How does the pq look for SD? I believe SF and LA have International channels that can run 10 channels. I cannot believe the pq can be good. I am reasonably pleased that KATU's 2.1 HD ABC/2.2 METV HD /2.3 Comet SD/2.4 StadiumSD. 2.4 look as well as they do, even though the HD is only in 720p? I presume 1080i needs a bit more bandwidth. Well at least our OTA list increases from 16 to 25. We will have Antenna TV and Cozi OTA then. Again much appreciated.

Thanks again. I have no idea what equipment they are using. I presume the equipment would originate from the Portland station. In other words I should get the same pq that the Portland station is broadcasting to the translators as the translators are getting the signal to us via microwave and/or fiber. Depending on the station. I guess I will find out next month.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)