Verizon 5G Rant

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Didn't Verizon's own EVDO refer to itself as 3G? That was one step beyond 1xRTT if I remember correctly.
3g is just a term to make you want to buy a new phone...4g lte us when phone data became useful...5g( nationwide) is just another scam to get you to buy a new phone

It just wasnt useful for anything..3g data was good for email and texting...but anything else was stupid
I found it very useful. In 2008-2009, I was getting around 3.5 Mbps on my iPhone 3G in good AT&T areas. I jailbroke it and used PDANet to enable USB tethering. That speed was good enough for web surfing, 720p video and more than enough for streaming audio. Had no problem using Telenav GPS or any other data enabled app that I used at the time, so long as I had decent coverage.

This is why the 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G labels should be dropped and just use the protocols to refer to the technology. Edge, 1xRTT, EVDO Rev A, EVDO Rev B, HSPA, WiMax, LTE, LTE-A, NR.

And no made up names like 5Ge, X-LTE, UWB

I had an LG Zone 3 with one of those unlimited 3G (EVDO) plans and it was great for streaming.
I'm not surprised... Back in the early 4G/LTE days, we landed in lots of places where 3G (EVDO) was the norm and usually had good service for our normal Internet use including streaming. As streaming video PQ cranked up of course, LTE became the preferred service when available. It's rare to see 3G locations now, but there's still a few towers around that haven't been upgraded in the back country.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
135th & Metcalf, Overland Park KS

3339E736-8B43-4B60-9AE1-E3B26C4AD613.png

Reactions: NYDutch
In a pinch I sometimes tether my phone to my laptop. With my old Galaxy S III I could do what was necessary quickly on 3G, 4G and still have some or most of my 2 gigs of data left. I'm VERY careful to use wifi when I can.
My new A51 with 5G is nice. I found myself needing to tether to grab some info at a remote jobsite.
Nothing too different than what I usually have to do. In about 15-20 minutes using a 5G network (my home area is still 4G) I was getting the good ole' Verizon text message that 95% of my data was munched up.
Someone mentioned that it ain't so. But it looks like it is.
Still pondering a prepaid or a Straight Talk plan for less $ and more data.
What do you all think?

In a pinch I sometimes tether my phone to my laptop. With my old Galaxy S III I could do what was necessary quickly on 3G, 4G and still have some or most of my 2 gigs of data left. I'm VERY careful to use wifi when I can.
My new A51 with 5G is nice. I found myself needing to tether to grab some info at a remote jobsite.
Nothing too different than what I usually have to do. In about 15-20 minutes using a 5G network (my home area is still 4G) I was getting the good ole' Verizon text message that 95% of my data was munched up.
What do you all think?

Verizon's unlimited plans (both prepaid and postpaid) have limits on high speed tethering. You'd never use up all your data. On a metered plan, like the 15gb plan, you could theoretically blow through all your data by using hotspot. HOWEVER, the 5G UW speeds are not available on prepaid metered plans, so that greatly reduces the risk of you blowing through all your data. The "5G" (not UW) speeds are just barely faster than LTE, so very little worry there.

PS- I'm returning to my 15 GB metered plan next Monday. I've found no use having UW speeds, and there are hardly any cities yet who have them.

What do you all think?
Take a look at Visible, a Verizon prepaid company. They have just one plan, unlimited talk, text, and data, including tethering/hotspot use and no throttling on LTE or 5G, for as little as $25/mo all in. They do let you bring your own phone if it meets their requirements, so your A51 may work.

Take a look at Visible, a Verizon prepaid company. They have just one plan, unlimited talk, text, and data, including tethering/hotspot use and no throttling on LTE or 5G, for as little as $25/mo all in. They do let you bring your own phone if it meets their requirements, so your A51 may work.

Be careful with Visible- last time I used them I found their network wasn't ready for primetime. Lots of drop out's, "no service" notifications, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)