This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Verizon and Skype team up!

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
I would have never expected to see this:

If I've never had a use for Skype before this, is this anything for me to get excited about?

Does this means Skype and VZW are going to go after apps on the market and store that are already doing this? Or will they just provide an official app that does it better?

Skype is available for the iPhone, but you can only use it on WIFI. However they are supposed to be releasing a new version that does work on 3G.

The thing that stinks is to get a Skype call you always need to keep Skype running. Since the iPhone does not do multtasking it makes the app useless unless you want to make outgoing calls.

We mainly use skype here for video teleconferencing. Therefore when we set it up, it is a planed event. Most people I know who use it do so as a planned event for a conference call or video communication as opposed to making a simple phone call.

I also used it while traveling on a cruise ship. In this case it was with family who did not have skype or even a computer such as my parents. I sat on my balcony and used the ship's wifi connection with a head set connected to my laptop and skype. In this case I had to buy telephone connection minutes from skype since I was making a call to a regular telephone rather than a computer. This is still far cheaper than even the prepaid calling cards but
not when figuring in the cost of ship's wifi connection minutes. Thing is the bottom line still makes it cheaper than using the ship's phone service.

That would not be a problem with the Droid.

The problem with skype and keeping your app active is that skype is viewed like a lonely hearts club to many on the web. I kept getting all these lonely women ( at least they identified themselves as such) when I kept it active for inbound calls. MY wife got the same including some men too looking to chat and make friends. So we just use it for scheduled events.

At least when you shut it off it stops. On my e-mail I constantly get lonely people wanting to "be my friend" on face book. I don't even have a face book account.

If you have the iPhone, you can use iCall. I use it. It works over 3G and WiFi, and does not go against your minutes. The free version works the same, it just limits you to 5 minutes per conversation.

iCall - VoIP for your iPhone

the only way i can talk to my oldest nephew who is on a yearlong church mission in hondorus is via skype. problem is i encountered some bug when i downloaded it and had to remove. i did enjoy using it though.