verizon fios in nyc

I don't think they will do anything. Fios has been in Long Island for awhile now. Fios still doesn't have the Rangers or Knicks in HD which is a huge reason not to go with Fios.

Good Point. If they get MSG and MSG + in hd then Cablevision will blink. Of course Cablevision owns these 2 channels, so I would not hold my breath that Fios will be getting it anytime soon.

In NYC ( esp. Manhattan) it will be Time Warner that will do the worrying I hear that alot of people hate TW w/ a passion since in their service area they had no real choice...something like CV had in parts of their area ...it must be of some concern to CV b/c remember when their ads were; only on Cv..never on satellite ...now its "never on the phone co." & the SDV / International / Voom channels disaster is not really helping either

All the news announcing Fios in NYC also note that 100 HD channels will now be available on Fios in NYC markets - including parts of Long Island and Northern Jersey.

Hopefully *that* fact will light a fire under Cablevision...

Verizon's HD channel additions are more than impressive. All of the HBO, Cinemax, Starz and Showtimes are in HD. Plus Sci-fi and ESPNews. That blows Cablevisions crappy 15 additions, yay Hallmark Movie Channel. IF THEY JUST ADDED MSGHD, I would switch today and tell Cablevision to go to hell

Which is exactly why Cablevision will not sell them the rights to carry MSG-HD.

The fact that Cablevision does provide MSGHD to Time Warner's New York cable systems but not Verizon may come back to haunt them. It looks like FIOS is ratcheting up the pressure by going to the FCC to review the matter. I'm betting that that Cablevision will eventually lose and be forced to provide the channel on terms no worse than they do for Time Warner. In any case, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

The fact that Cablevision does provide MSGHD to Time Warner's New York cable systems but not Verizon may come back to haunt them. It looks like FIOS is ratcheting up the pressure by going to the FCC to review the matter. I'm betting that that Cablevision will eventually lose and be forced to provide the channel on terms no worse than they do for Time Warner. In any case, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Verizon Accuses Cablevision of Withholding MSG HD

I so hope that CV has to allow MSG HD on FIOS and I will be off baby, woohoo. It is the only reason I haven't switched because I am a diehard Ranger fan. The moment that FIOS gets MSG HD its see ya CV and I'll tell Dolan where my foot will go.

Verizon Accuses Cablevision of Withholding MSG HD

I so hope that CV has to allow MSG HD on FIOS and I will be off baby, woohoo. It is the only reason I haven't switched because I am a diehard Ranger fan. The moment that FIOS gets MSG HD its see ya CV and I'll tell Dolan where my foot will go.

I think Cablevision can get away giving MSG-HD to DirectTV using the "terrestial loophole" under FCC rulings - but the fact they provide it to Time Warner is going to be very difficult to defend, as it smacks of restraint of trade. Here is more info. from Verizon's Policy Blog:

Posted by Eric Rabe in Video on July 25, 2008, 09:40 AM EST
Add to: Del.icio.us | Digg | Reddit

It’s clear from the comments at PolicyBlog and in other forums that consumer demand for high-definition programming is skyrocketing. Verizon is responding by adding new HD channels across the FiOS TV footprint, with the goal of offering all available major HD programming by the end of this year.

But sometimes cable companies play hardball with HD programming they control. Take the MSG regional sports network in New York City and the MSG-Buffalo channel that we want to be able to offer to future customers in that market.

Standing in the way is Cablevision, which owns MSG and is preventing competitors like Verizon getting MSG – a channel that is subject to the Cable Act’s program access rules – in HD format. Under those rules, Cablevision is required to make that programming available to Verizon. In 2006, after we filed a program access complaint with the FCC, Cablevision agreed to provide the standard definition version of the MSG regional sports network in New York City. But so far Cablevision is refusing to provide the HD feed for the same programming.

So we’re back at the Federal Communications Commission, which is considering various issues concerning access to video programming.

It’s pretty obvious that Cablevision is trying to circumvent the FCC’s program access rules by denying Verizon MSG in HD – claiming that just because Cablevision elects to route the HD format over fiber, it is somehow not the same “programming” as the standard definition format delivered using satellites. And as if Cablevision’s motives in evading the program access were not clear enough, after denying us the HD MSG programming, Cablevision advertises that it is the only carrier to provide it in HD.

Verizon is asking the FCC to condemn these practices and to clarify that, if programming is subject to the FCC’s rules as Cablevision’s MSG channels are, then competitive providers are entitled to that programming in all available formats. In other words, the cable incumbents should not be permitted to circumvent the rules and deny competitors and consumers the benefits of HD.

I think Cablevision can get away giving MSG-HD to DirectTV using the "terrestial loophole" under FCC rulings - but the fact they provide it to Time Warner is going to be very difficult to defend, as it smacks of restraint of trade.

Actually you have that backwards. They can use the "terrestial loophole" to keep it from D* but they are now selling it to them. Time Warner does not compete with Cablevision so that has no bearing on this and TWC gets it via fiber. Now if FIOS can't take the feed via Fiber then CV might have a leg to stand on, otherwise they will eventually have to let them carry it.

Actually you have that backwards. They can use the "terrestial loophole" to keep it from D* but they are now selling it to them. Time Warner does not compete with Cablevision so that has no bearing on this and TWC gets it via fiber. Now if FIOS can't take the feed via Fiber then CV might have a leg to stand on, otherwise they will eventually have to let them carry it.

Granted - poorly worded. My point is you can argue their position is even weaker - as DirectTV is a competitior of Cablevision (apparently one they're not as concerned about) and they have provided them the channel. If they had never provided the channel to the "marketplace" (not SD or HD to any other satellite or Cable provider) but instead kept it as a private "in house" channel I think their position would be very strong.

Which is exactly why Cablevision will not sell them the rights to carry MSG-HD.

I remember plenty of similar posts regarding DirecTV - but they proved false as well. I would have to think that if it is made available to one outlet, it would at least have to be offered to ALL outlets. I would believe it is just a matter of time (and short time).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)