Verizon FIOS in SBC area

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

djsebran

Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
I live in the greater Chicago area of Illinois, which is serviced by SBC for primary local phone service. My friend at work told me that he heard that Verizon was going to be installing in the suburban area, within this year (from Verizon customer service, which may not be correct). My question- Can/Will Verizon install their fiber in an area with SBC for phone, and Comcast for cable? and Does anyone know of Verizon plans for the Chicago Area?

Maybe they're thinking about out by Spring Grove/Richmond area which is served by Verizon, not SBC.

djsebran said:
I live in the greater Chicago area of Illinois, which is serviced by SBC for primary local phone service. My friend at work told me that he heard that Verizon was going to be installing in the suburban area, within this year (from Verizon customer service, which may not be correct). My question- Can/Will Verizon install their fiber in an area with SBC for phone, and Comcast for cable? and Does anyone know of Verizon plans for the Chicago Area?

Since you are serviced by SBC, it's more then likely Verizon won't go into that area but SBC is building a fiber optic network. After doing a quick search, SBC is doing Fiber To The Node(FTTN). This allows up to 25Mbps. Verizon's Fiber To The Premises(FTTP/Fios) can offer speeds up to 100Mbps. There may be more info but that was only after a quick search on Google.

There are a few areas that are serviced by Verizon where Verizon is the CLEC, not the ILEC. In those areas it may be a possibility, but I wouldn't count on it.

I have not heard anything regarding Chicago, most likely because it's not a Vz market (for the most part).

Kaos said:
Since you are serviced by SBC, it's more then likely Verizon won't go into that area but SBC is building a fiber optic network. After doing a quick search, SBC is doing Fiber To The Node(FTTN). This allows up to 25Mbps. Verizon's Fiber To The Premises(FTTP/Fios) can offer speeds up to 100Mbps. There may be more info but that was only after a quick search on Google.

This is not totally accurate. SBC is doing both. They are currently deploying FTTP to several subdivisions in the western suburbs. Currently there is not an option for TV, but possibly available later this year. FTTN will be going to be deployed into existing subdivisions. I am not aware of any Verizon facilities in any SBC areas.

hawksfans said:
This is not totally accurate. SBC is doing both. They are currently deploying FTTP to several subdivisions in the western suburbs. Currently there is not an option for TV, but possibly available later this year. FTTN will be going to be deployed into existing subdivisions. I am not aware of any Verizon facilities in any SBC areas.

That is why I said I did a quick search. I was not going to spend a large amount of time on something the original poster could have done. I live in a Verizon area so I did research on SBC fiber optic for the poster. If wanted more info then he could search for then rest of it. No offense to the original poster.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)