Verizon Nets Another 299,000 FiOS TV Customers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Full Story

Verizon Nets Another 299,000 FiOS TV Customers

Even if the economy is fizzling, FiOS is sizzling.

Verizon Communications turned in a near-record quarter for its FiOS TV service, with the telco adding 299,000 subscribers in the first three months of 2009, and racked up 298,000 FiOS Internet users.

The company now has 2.217 million FiOS TV subscribers, up 84% from the year-ago period, and 2.779 million for FiOS Internet, up 55.5%.

"In spite of the macroeconomic environment... I'd say the consumer market is holding up very well overall," Verizon chief financial officer John Killian said on a call with investors Monday.

Verizon's growth in video subs tracks with AT&T's momentum in the sector. AT&T last week reported 284,000 net adds for U-verse TV, to stand at 1.329 million as of the end of March.

299,000 + 1 come July 8th, 2009 @party 2 Tivo HD's and 2 1 TB drives ordered from Amazon. After 2 years I'm tired of Beta testing D*'s attempt at reinventing the wheel. V* is bringing 2 M-Cards, anything else I need RiffJim4069????? (all locations wired with cat5 and coax)

You're good to go! As much as we loved the 622, the Tivo HD w/My DVR does very credible job (we really like the added features such as Netflix, YouTube, etc.). Plus, the 116 HD channels in my local channels lineup provide tremendous quantity and quality.

Congrats and Welcome Aboard! :welcome Your biggest headache should be getting your billing statement squared-away.

You're good to go! As much as we loved the 622, the Tivo HD w/My DVR does very credible job (we really like the added features such as Netflix, YouTube, etc.). Plus, the 116 HD channels in my local channels lineup provide tremendous quantity and quality.

Congrats and Welcome Aboard! :welcome Your biggest headache should be getting your billing statement squared-away.
I got this email to go to "whats next" on the verizon website to confirm the order? You log in with your order number and etc.. I went through everything but didnt see where there was anything to "confirm"???? :confused:

I know there is another site to agree to the programming and discount bundle but I was told I could do that much later.

I got this email to go to "whats next" on the verizon website to confirm the order? You log in with your order number and etc.. I went through everything but didnt see where there was anything to "confirm"???? :confused:

I know there is another site to agree to the programming and discount bundle but I was told I could do that much later.
Yeah...I had a problem with the ordering system too. I ordered the Triple Play, but their ordering system said I only ordered phone and TV. I couldn't get Internet until the next day, I had two accounts, and it took months (not days) to get both accounts merged and the bill squared-away (and let's not get into the $200 debit card). Anyway, I got three months of free service out of it.

If I were you, I would call and make sure you order is exactly what you wanted. Also, I have a few helpful numbers for the HQ types (bypass the 1-800 CSRs) who can get this corrected, if necessary.

On a positive note, the billing has been fine the past year and we have not experienced 1-second of outages...everything just works.

ANY IDEA WHEN CENTRAL ILLINOIS MIGHT BE RECEIVING FIOS TV?????????
First, is Verizon the local telephone providers in your area? If not, it's doubtful you'll see FiOS TV outside of a few select markets. Currently, Verizon is moving into an AT&T test market outside of Dallas TX.

Assuming Verizon is you're local provider, they typically do not bury fiber, upgrade central switching offices or provide FiOS services (Internet and TV) until they obtain a Cable TV franchise in your area (your mileage may vary). The Local Franchise Authority could be a state, county, city or township. You will want to check with your local government and also Verizon's Community page, Verizon | Verizon in the Community for information about Cable TV franchises and build-out schedules.

Typically (my observation) it appears that Verizon offers FiOS services roughtly 4-6 months they run fiber to your home. A great sources of information can be found at the dslreports Verizon FiOS Forums:

Verizon FIOS TV forum - dslreports.com broadband community
Verizon Fiber Optics forum - dslreports.com broadband community

yes verizon is our provider, but avenue is the cable provider in Paris, Il. We have to wait until contract is up for avenue to pursue fios?

yes verizon is our provider, but avenue is the cable provider in Paris, Il. We have to wait until contract is up for avenue to pursue fios?

No, you don't have to wait for your contract to be up, but your area will need to negotiate a franchise agreement with Verizon before they can roll in. Many areas had to change their laws to allow a service like FiOS in, because those areas gave your cable company protected monopoly status. They treated the cable company like a utility. To allow FiOS into those areas, they had to change the law to allow cable competition. Some areas decided to give state-wide franchise agreements (e.g. NJ), while in others it's done on a township-by-township basis (e.g. PA).

I would first start asking your local government office (e.g. township office) to see if there are any plans to invite in cable competition in general, or an attempt to bring in FiOS in particular. I haven't heard of Verizon moving FiOS into Illinois - and in fact they're selling off much of their rural networks (inlcuding FiOS system in 3 states - WA, OR, and IN) to Frontier. I don't know if Verizon has plans for doing the same with your area.

No, you don't have to wait for your contract to be up, but your area will need to negotiate a franchise agreement with Verizon before they can roll in. Many areas had to change their laws to allow a service like FiOS in, because those areas gave your cable company protected monopoly status. They treated the cable company like a utility. To allow FiOS into those areas, they had to change the law to allow cable competition. Some areas decided to give state-wide franchise agreements (e.g. NJ), while in others it's done on a township-by-township basis (e.g. PA).

I would first start asking your local government office (e.g. township office) to see if there are any plans to invite in cable competition in general, or an attempt to bring in FiOS in particular. I haven't heard of Verizon moving FiOS into Illinois - and in fact they're selling off much of their rural networks (inlcuding FiOS system in 3 states - WA, OR, and IN) to Frontier. I don't know if Verizon has plans for doing the same with your area.
I just wanted to add that most areas did not technically have a "monopoly" on the areas they operated since they would be regulated...however, I used the word "colusion" since the Cable companies and local governments seemed to work together to keep competitors (especially the Telcos) out: the Cable companies paid local governments huge sums of money for items that were in no way related to obtaining a non-exclusive cable TV franchise (e.g., paying a million dollar application fees, building millions of dollars in community projects, providing the local governments with free services, etc.). Additionally, the local governments had a steady stream of revenue in the form of franchise fees. In return, the cable companies could, for the most part, earn a handsome profit for often providing lackluster services and terrible customer service. While this model may have been marginally acceptible years ago when billions were needed to build-out the cable infrustructures, it kept new entrants from entering into existing cable markets. They simply could not afford to invest the same kind of monies in franchise fees (ok, let's call it what it is...bribery) and hope to complete in existing cable markets that have been well-established for 20 or 30 years. Anyway, the telecommunications laws were changed to allow new entrants an even playing field to compete. These laws will continue to evolve now that the Internet is popping up as a major delivery mechanism for home video. If AT&T has to obtain a cable TV franchise in order to provider services in the areas they operate, then it is only fair that any IPTV over the Internet be taxed accordingly....Netflix and Satellite Video on Demand are next.

Congrats! How is your FiOS TV experience so far and how does it compare to your previous provider?

So far I love it. I came from Dish, no real complaint. I switched because the verizon deal was excellent. I did not do a side by side comparison but I swear that the pq is better on a few hd channels. I mistakenly got an additional hd dvr to go wiht my HM dvr thinking I could share between the two boxes but I think my family will learn to live with it. I do enjoy the VOD. If the programs are updated regularly the whole family will love it. The menus, navigations and channels will take a little getting used to but that is to be expected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts