Very bad pixellation on Dish HD channels ...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
ShadowEKU said:
Ok before posting that you could have read the whole thread. this is currently a known issue that dish is hoping to have corrected by next week. after talking to (i think his name was:) shawn at the Adv. Tech support last night he assured me it is a problem only with hd and is an encoding problem.

I know, I was trying to address Poke's post where he said All the PQ issues seem to be on ESPN end with their equipment they have at certain events. this isn't an issue with the providers but with E*.

Sorry about that now i feel stupid.. i red up the down and back up and confused myself. sorry about that. ill pull my foot out of my mouth later

I understand that there are issues with every provider, but there are issues I am having now with Dish that are inherent with Dish Network and satellite providers in general.

First, a very limited choice of boxes. If one model of box has a problem -- tough luck on Dish, and now DirecTV is doing the same and manufacturing their own boxes, so soon tough luck with DirecTV too, and also with Voom. And where's the HD DVR with Firewire? Where's the network DVR box? Everyone at D*/E*/V* been sleeping the past couple of years?

Rain fade. Yeah, cables can be cut accidentally -- but not often. In the four years I've had cable modem, I've had one outage, and it was back up in a couple hours. Wish Dish, every year I have at least half a dozen outages either due to heavy storms or snow buildup on the dishes. That and a dead switch because the installers mounted it wrong. Time Warner -- no switches on the wall, no dishes hanging on the chimney, no rain fade, amen.

Buying new boxes. Oh, we're changing over to 8psk, so give us $100 for a card to upgrade your box. And next year we're moving to MPEG4, so you'll have to start upgrading boxes again. Oh, we'll help subsidize the cost -- somewhat -- but it'll still be more money out of your pocket. Given what I've spent on boxes -- and if I stay, what I'd end up spending in the near future -- that money will cover many, many years of box rental fees.

Don't get me wrong. I used to be very big on Dish -- loved them, thought their equipment was awesome, prices were cheap, great service, etc. But after everything that's gone on this year -- poor quality firmware on the 811 forcing numerous reboots, repeal of firewire on the 921, no new compelling HD even though it does exist contrary to Charlie's assertions, and now possibly more new hardware needed in a couple years thanks to MPEG4 -- I've had it.

I'm sure there will be issues with Time Warner. After all, nothing's perfect. But everything I've seen coming from Dish this past year tells me TW's gotta be better than sticking with this.

Poke said:
Yeah well it could be on their end Dish and the Networks also. But this is something that everyone deals with. Rather its cable or Dish or Direct whoever you will deal with all these problems no matter who you with. Main thing is you go with who fits your needs the best and some things will depend on where you live so on. But over all we hope things will get better which in the long run I think they will.

This IS a Dish problem, they've already admitted it. Any company can have hardware problems and I will be patient for the time being, but Dish needs to get this corrected in the next week.

NightRyder

Yes this might be a Dish is I understanf that. But it's not always their issue!

I live in southeast kentucky, my dish hd channels never have any of the problems you talk about. The jaguars game on espn hd looked great last night, the librarian on tnt looked great, and so did the last samuri on hbo saturday night. I also watched the usual suspects on hdnetmovies and it was very nice. I have a dish 811 and it never has had any of the problems I hear about. do all you guys and gals live in generally the same area where you are having problems?

Actually I did have the probem, but it appears to have been cleared the past few days. I wasn't sure if I was just getting "lucky". But its been a good 3-4 days since I've seen the pixelation problem.

WorkOutMN said:
I understand that there are issues with every provider, but there are issues I am having now with Dish that are inherent with Dish Network and satellite providers in general.

First, a very limited choice of boxes.

Time Warner -- no switches on the wall, no dishes hanging on the chimney, no rain fade, amen.

I'm sure there will be issues with Time Warner. After all, nothing's perfect. But everything I've seen coming from Dish this past year tells me TW's gotta be better than sticking with this.

You win a few, you lose a few. Yes, there are issues with all providers. I switched formTime Warner to Dish Network in February because of dissatisfaction with their digital and HD packages and cost of service. In my area, they use Scientific Atlanta HD boxes and the PQ is nowhere as good as Dish's. They've just raised their rates again (they do it every year). It's only in the past few months that they've offered ANY network programming in HD. (To their credit, they now offer ABC and NBC HD network content in their HD package, but they don't have Fox, PBS or CBS in HD. In all fairness, the local Fox and CBS outlets don't broacast in HD.) Their CSR's are no better than Dish CSR's. I haven't gone through a winter with Dish as yet, so can't comment about snow on the dish.
I don't live in an area that has many torrential rainstorms, so don't have an issue with rain fade. That being said, I agree fully that there are issues with the 811. The OTA tuner isn't as good as it should be, there are program guide issues, etc. OTOH, I haven't experienced many of the problems other 811 owners have reported. I assume that some of these problems occur on only certain production level boxes.
I still have Time Warner lifeline cable for locals because I can't receive local NBC OTA (available only on cable) and my ABC digital OTA reception is spotty. I have a waiver for distant NBC, so that's no problem. My only real issue is the digital ABC reception.

ShadowEKU said:
I noticed last night while watching Big! that the problem appears to be gone

Same here but I didn't want to ring that bell before I had some confirmation :). Kudo's to Dish for admitting they had a problem and getting it fixed in a timely manner. :up

NightRyder

Agreed, Cholly -- you do win some and lose some. I'm expecting most of my losses so far to come from my pocketbook, as I'm betting Time-Warner will be more expensive.

At least as far as HD channel lineup, I'll only lose the HD PPV channel, but I'll gain the local HD broadcasts of PBS, CBS, Fox and NBC, as well as INHD, INHD2, Fox Sports HD, and I'll get both coasts of HBO and Showtime instead of just the east broadcasts I get now -- all without an external OTA antenna.

I'll gain the convenience of one less bill to deal with every month, since I already have Time-Warner for high-speed internet.

I'll get to easily add more boxes in the house without having to add switches/run more lines from outside/drill more holes through my walls.

For those things I've listed, I'm willing to pay more -- and I'm sure I will. Not everyone would be, though, so to those that think I'm saying Dish is just plain a bad idea all around, that's not what I'm trying to say. They're just no longer for me, or I think for anyone in the Twin Cities west metro that wants high-def programming.

I thought things were looking up, but unfortunately, the pixellation problem seems to be worse than ever on HDNet tonight.

I'm new to the site and new to Dish. After the installer came yesterday and finished the install, I was completely unimpressed with the HD channels :( I hope they get this problem fixed because I'd hate to cancel yet another satellite service.

What a hassle I've been through in the last month. Voom, lied to me, robbed me and is now ignoring me and not refunding my money. I've had 9 tech appointments in 4 weeks between Voom and my Dish install.

The HDNet channel seems to look the best but, poor Discovery looks horrible and TNT is unspeakably nasty. I hope they fix this soon so, I can be at peace :p

Miguel

I am also new to HD and dish. I had been a customer of d* standard def for almost 10 years, but decided dish would be a cheaper way to get into HD plus no commitment. The installer just left and I am also very disappointed with the quality of HD picture. Whats wrong here? :confused: It looked so good in store. The HD picture I get is very grainy on all channels. The best channel seems to be the Dish demo channel. hmm. . . I wonder. Hope everyone is right and it will get fixed soom. I am glad I did not sign up for a 1 year commitment.

SIINSI said:
I'm new to the site and new to Dish. After the installer came yesterday and finished the install, I was completely unimpressed with the HD channels :( I hope they get this problem fixed because I'd hate to cancel yet another satellite service.

What a hassle I've been through in the last month. Voom, lied to me, robbed me and is now ignoring me and not refunding my money. I've had 9 tech appointments in 4 weeks between Voom and my Dish install.

The HDNet channel seems to look the best but, poor Discovery looks horrible and TNT is unspeakably nasty. I hope they fix this soon so, I can be at peace :p

Miguel

This problem.... too much compression/channels per TP. Discovery Looks GREAT.. i was impressed last night. TNT kinda always looks bad.. I think its because of the station as the local cable has it too and it still looks like crap. HDNet looks best because Mark Cuban has said he will pull his channels if dish screws with them.

crazycat said:
I am also new to HD and dish. I had been a customer of d* standard def for almost 10 years, but decided dish would be a cheaper way to get into HD plus no commitment. The installer just left and I am also very disappointed with the quality of HD picture. Whats wrong here? :confused: It looked so good in store. The HD picture I get is very grainy on all channels. The best channel seems to be the Dish demo channel. hmm. . . I wonder. Hope everyone is right and it will get fixed soom. I am glad I did not sign up for a 1 year commitment.

The demo channel looks the best because its on 61.5 and shares a TP with CBS only.

Well, knock on wood, but the incidence of pixel errors that I was seeing on ESPN-HD has gone away. However, I'm still experiencing occasional picture freezes with HDNet and DiscoHD. I was watching the replay of the ROC event from last weekend on HDNet and there was one spot where the picture froze for a good two minutes while the audio went on. That was the worse, mostly it's just been a stutter or two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)