VH1 Classic needs to be in HD.

The problem with giving it HD is that everything on it is SD. None of the vids you are talking about were shot in HD. I know the rez of picture will be better but I wouldn't put it up in HD either until the get all the bandwidth taken care of on both arcs.
They have a lot of HD programming. They show a lot of concerts that were filmed in HD and they have original programming, such as "That Metal Show" which can easily be shot in HD. They also have a lot of documentaries and specials that were shot in HD

To clarify, they don't currently broadcast in HD, but they have a lot of programming that was originally shot in HD

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

The problem with giving it HD is that everything on it is SD. None of the vids you are talking about were shot in HD. I know the rez of picture will be better but I wouldn't put it up in HD either until the get all the bandwidth taken care of on both arcs.

Eddie Trunk, one of the hosts on That Metal Show explained this further when talking about why they werent in HD. But so what? Do ppl actually watch music videos anymore? The reason VH1 Classic is popular (relatively speaking) is because of its original programming, documentaries, live shows filmed in HD etc. Anyway TMS was filmed in widescreen last episode, and I dont think a show would buy widescreen SD cameras. So either they're planning to change to HD someday or filming in HD for reruns on another HD network perhaps. Just doesnt make sense to film in widescreen without HD in the future.

Eddie Trunk, one of the hosts on That Metal Show explained this further when talking about why they werent in HD. But so what? Do ppl actually watch music videos anymore? The reason VH1 Classic is popular (relatively speaking) is because of its original programming, documentaries, live shows filmed in HD etc. Anyway TMS was filmed in widescreen last episode, and I dont think a show would buy widescreen SD cameras. So either they're planning to change to HD someday or filming in HD for reruns on another HD network perhaps. Just doesnt make sense to film in widescreen without HD in the future.
News flash many commercial vid cameras have had a switch on them for 16 X 9 for a few yrs.

My Canon Elura 100 MiniDV I got in 2006 shoots in widescreen. So I guess its reasonable to assume that VH1 Classic gave That Metal Show money to goto bestbuy or on ebay, bought a bunch of consumer SD cameras, redesigned the entire set to fit widescreen, but HD isnt in consideration. Gotcha...:rolleyes:

VH1 Classic is in 4:3 ratio only, but since TMS is now shot in widescreen it looks worse since now you get black bars around the entire frame. What channel shoots in 16:9 but stays in 4:3 SD unless they were going HD. Like I said either HD is around the corner, or its being shot on HD for archival purposes, perhaps to be rerun when VH1 decides to go HD or simulcasts the show on Palladia like they do with other shows. There is no point other than the 2 I mentioned to shoot in widescreen unless its going to be in HD in the future. When that will be is anyone's guess.

Last edited:
My Canon Elura 100 MiniDV I got in 2006 shoots in widescreen. So I guess its reasonable to assume that VH1 Classic gave That Metal Show money to goto bestbuy or on ebay, bought a bunch of consumer SD cameras, redesigned the entire set to fit widescreen, but HD isnt in consideration. Gotcha...:rolleyes:

VH1 Classic is in 4:3 ratio only, but since TMS is now shot in widescreen it looks worse since now you get black bars around the entire frame. What channel shoots in 16:9 but stays in 4:3 SD unless they were going HD. Like I said either HD is around the corner, or its being shot on HD for archival purposes, perhaps to be rerun when VH1 decides to go HD or simulcasts the show on Palladia like they do with other shows. There is no point other than the 2 I mentioned to shoot in widescreen unless its going to be in HD in the future. When that will be is anyone's guess.
Or to give people the option to hit the zoom feature on their TV so they can fill the TV without stretching the picture.

Does anyone know if Dish's receivers have the ability to handle a widescreen SD channel? Either outputting it as widescreen for those who have TVs that understand it, or better yet, upscaling it to widescreen in the user's selected HD resolution? It would beat having it letterboxed -- although I have a feeling that nobody even sends a widescreen SD signal since they assume that nobody will know what to do with it when they receive it.

whats really bad is when sporting feeds are shot in 16:9 SD which fills the screen fine but when you watch it on a SD RSN its 4x3 letterboxed...even though it doesnt need to be

Last Wednesday there was one like that. College basketball game shot in 16:9 SD. Directv showed it in "HD" (no bars...filled the screen)...Dish used the 4x3 letterbox option...and since it wasn't considered HD Dish didnt bother putting up the HD feed

Zoom still looks terrible. At least it fills out the space but since its zoomed in its even blurrier. I use the Dish ratio button mapped to my Harmony remote and it works well for the very very few SD channels I watch, and the TVs built in scaler isnt much better.

I wonder if shows like TMS may end up on itunes or netflix in HD. That'd would be at least something. But I imagine there would be problems with music rights on other platforms other than TV etc.

Never claimed that SD 16 X 9 looked good. But the supposition was that if it were in that format it was shot in HD. The answer is not necessarily so. I don't care for postage stamp either and have been giving a TV station what for about a show that is shot and SD and about 2/3 of the time the ops run it in SD.

VH1 Classic is going to be in HD soon, but I don't know when.
Eddie Trunk said that That Metal Show has been recently filmed in HD. If you see the new episodes its in widescreen but not HD yet.
Knowing dish, Vh1 classic would turn into hd in like 5 years :\

Wouldn't make any difference on the old 80s videos. They would still look like 280i vcr material on hd tv ,just like they do now on sd tv.

Then Viacom sucks. Speaking for myself, I won't let their other BS "music" channels on my TV as they suck. If it wasn't for That Metal Show, the ugly sister that is VH1 Classic wouldn't make it on my TV either.

LOVED 80's music and Still do. THE BEST DECADE for music EVER!!

Since someone regurgitated this thread, give me some examples of GOOD 80's music. SRV was about the only good thing to come out of the 80's, that and a few classic rockers had a few good tunes, and of course blues music, never out of style.

I hear it on the radio all of the time. Every song played on my local OTA classic rock station is not censored and neither is the stuff on XM.

The lines you hear in the song were lines he took from quotes of everyday ordinary people. He would hear them say something and then he would write it down

Here they censor Money, taking out "bullsh*t" and Who are you, taking out "who the fu*k are you" line to name a few off the top of my head.

Since someone regurgitated this thread, give me some examples of GOOD 80's music. SRV was about the only good thing to come out of the 80's, that and a few classic rockers had a few good tunes, and of course blues music, never out of style.
90125, The Joshua Tree, Synchronicity, Thriller, Hysteria...,

Now get off my lawn!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)