Viacom's are in real trouble now

jeffwtux said:
I guess I'm glad that Echostar is standing up against Viacom, but I still don't really think of Viacom as the "Evil Empire" or even one of them. What exactly are they standing up against? What exactly is Viacom's "sinister" motive? To me Disney/ESPN has been far more abusive and needs to be stood up far more than Viacom. They are overpaying for sports contracts and then passing on the exessive costs which a true free market would never bare on to the cable/dbs customer. This is what is keeping the spiraling player salaries skyrocketing.

Viacom is demanding that E* not only pay a higher cost for the channels, but demanding that it carries NEW channels (req. more bandwidth while we are already starving for it) *and* those get put into the channel package of Viacoms choice. A strangle hold on E*. E* refuses to cave to the pressure, and we get comments about "Im leaving E*", "Its Charlie's fault", "But Charlie's worth Billions, how greedy"... etc.

bsic said:
You may have every reason in the world to be pissed.

But chasing every thread to post your redundant, tiresome, whiney comments gets old. Go the the D* forum, change your subscription, whatever. Complaining day after day doesnt add to the discussion in a meaningful way IMO. When you post a single sentence "I blame dish for this ..." re: Viacom, its obviously meant to inFLAME. Like I said- if he caves and accepts the offer and raises rates, you will complain. If he holds out and tries to battle it, you will complain. But the point is you post two negative replies to the subject WHEN NOTHING HAS HAPPENED YET! Leaving dish because they are negotiating with viacom? You demonstrate your intellect with that comment.

Bottom line is you will never be satisfied and your best bet is to GO TO ANOTHER PROVIDER if E* is so bad.

All you are doing is flaming me for my opinion. I do not post my distaste for DISH everywhere. I have only had a few negatives to say about DISH. Like I said, shut up before you really piss someone off.

why the hell are we fighting and arguing about this crap. i do agree with both sides. but getting mad writing coments about getting pissed off, "becuase this guy said this", is really imature. why get yourselves worked up on something that hasn't quite happend. dish has ten days to work some kind of magic with viacom. don't you think that dish is smarter then the credit some of you guys are giving them. let's say dish loses viacom channels. it would be a devasting blow to their copmany. in, fact it could shut them down in the long run. but dish won't let that happen. all they are doing is trying to look out for consumer interest. without that they won't make. companies like viacom have continually made increases to thier programming while the public demand(believe it or not), isn't growing. in fact other than one or two channel., viacom has lost ground to other cble channels. why pay a 5% increase to channels that ratings have dropped off.

Why do you think Charlie is the 19th richest man? Because Charlie knows how to play the deals, this is how he makes more money.

bsic said:
You may have every reason in the world to be pissed.

But chasing every thread to post your redundant, tiresome, whiney comments gets old. Go the the D* forum, change your subscription, whatever. Complaining day after day doesnt add to the discussion in a meaningful way IMO. When you post a single sentence "I blame dish for this ..." re: Viacom, its obviously meant to inFLAME. Like I said- if he caves and accepts the offer and raises rates, you will complain. If he holds out and tries to battle it, you will complain. But the point is you post two negative replies to the subject WHEN NOTHING HAS HAPPENED YET! Leaving dish because they are negotiating with viacom? You demonstrate your intellect with that comment.

Bottom line is you will never be satisfied and your best bet is to GO TO ANOTHER PROVIDER if E* is so bad.

I agree with you in that whatever he does we will have complainers(not speaking directly about anyone). I like Charlie for standing up to this and not becoming somehting like a cable company. And the issue on the price increase, What's 2-3 bucks. It's not like they are going to do this every year. Because if they did so channels would go out of business, and satellite companies would go out of business and then cable, because they would not have us paying to keep the service up.

These major networks dont need all the money we are giving them in the first place. And just like cable, if rates keep going up, not everyone is going to be paying 70 dollars a month for basic cable, or Americas top 60. Soon enough, I think we will be a brink of the cost.

Just another tid-bit, I like dish better because the color and the picture looks a helluva lot better than D*. IMHO, D* looks like crap on almost all channels. Kindof fuzzy, and bad color saturation. My local Adelphia, basic and digital looks better than D*.

Relax folks its only TV. Negotiations for programming is a cottage industry its in the lawyers hands. Its like playing poker and we will see who will flinch first.

Charlie has a great legal team.... be glad! I bet they tell Charlie to keep his mouth shut in the negotiations meetings :D

Now I know why the cable company around here dont have most of the Viacom channels (MTV, VH1, etc), because they probably cost them too much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)