Viacom's are in real trouble now

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

shilton

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2003
Oh no...I just read this on the net

"A Federal Court Friday blocked a move that would let EchoStar Communications Corp. keep carrying Viacom Inc. programming until they settle a contract dispute. EchoStar wanted the Judge to extend a previously issued restraining order through the duration of its dispute with Viacom. The judge, however, decided to extend that deadline until only 10 days from now. Carriage beyond early March will be left up to an agreement between the two companies."

Echostar further went on to say that their monetary losses would be IN THE MILLIONS if the channels get shut off and that they would hold Viacom responsible for any lost revenues while the dispute lingers.

If these 2 have not reached a settlement yet and the courts are now telling them that it is between the 2 of them to work it out, we are in for a long fight. Look for the Viacom's to the blacked out 10 days from now.

Hang on...its gonna be a bumpy ride :no

ingramba said:
Excuse my ignorance but which channels are "Viacom's"? Thanks! Bill
Viacom runs MTV, Nickelodeon, TV Land, VH1, BET, Spike TV, CMT, Comedy Central, Showtime, The Movie Channel, Flix, CBS and UPN...so in other words AT120 would be pretty darn bare if all these got yanked!

If I remember right they cannot pull Spike TV and a few other channels because that contract isn't up for some time.

Thanks shilton for the reply! Yea, that's alot of good channels I would hate to see gone. If I couldn't get my "WWE" fix (Spike TV) on monday night that would suck. Of course my wife would be thrilled cause she could watch all her monday night soaps on the big screen.

Looks like there will be a lot of angry customers shutting their service off switching providers and a lot of angry retailers because they will be losing lots of new potential subscribers and losing a lot of money because of customers shutting their systems off.

Can you just imagine the cable companies ads?

Good reason to switch to Direct TV. I still have not decided yet, just waiting on my tax return and who can get a HD DVR that actualy works first to the market and one that is in stock.

Buy no Viacom would be no choice but to go with Direct TV

I have strongly considered the move to Direct myself. Alot of it is the issue with Viacom and DISH.

I would imagine that if the channels do go black, they won't be gone for long. And since I seldom watch any of those channels, it would not be a huge loss to me.

That being said, it would really suck if they're unable to get something worked out...

If they do get blacked out for a long period of time, I'll be calling them about nullifying my contract with them and picking up their equipment. :)

I read the news release on Yahoo. It looks like any revenue loss for E*, Viacom would be responsible for if they lose.

In the long run... I'm glad E* is standing up against Viacom. It would be a victory for tv watchers period, be they cable, E* or Directv customers.

Neutron said:
I have strongly considered the move to Direct myself. Alot of it is the issue with Viacom and DISH.

Huh? What issue have you seen to prompt this? I might be wrong here but you havent had a SECOND of dropped viacom channels, and you're considering leaving mainly for this issue?

WHY DONT WE WAIT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. Dish is standing up to rate hikes, and refuses to be forced to carry channels... and you say "you blame dish". So if E* just caved and signed the deal, and raised your rates to compensate, youd be happy? DOUBT IT. Then you be on here slammin him for taking the offer. He cant win with intolerant people like yourself.

You, specifially, and others (RAD), have nothing constructive to offer in the E* forums. You troll around threads looking for your chance to get your digs in on Dish. Go somewhere else.

bsic said:
Huh? What issue have you seen to prompt this? I might be wrong here but you havent had a SECOND of dropped viacom channels, and you're considering leaving mainly for this issue?

WHY DONT WE WAIT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. Dish is standing up to rate hikes, and refuses to be forced to carry channels... and you say "you blame dish". So if E* just caved and signed the deal, and raised your rates to compensate, youd be happy? DOUBT IT. Then you be on here slammin him for taking the offer. He cant win with intolerant people like yourself.

You, specifially, and others (RAD), have nothing constructive to offer in the E* forums. You troll around threads looking for your chance to get your digs in on Dish. Go somewhere else.
:eureka :clap :clap :love :love :party :party :bow :bow :heart

Originally Posted by bsic
"and refuses to be forced to carry channels"

But what about channels that customers want them to add,my daughter would love to have NickToons.

bsic said:

You sir have no reason to be bashing me. I am just looking out for my tv INVESTMENT. I really have nothing bad against DISH except for this little fiasco that would cost channels, and the fact that they haven't released the 322/522 to existing customers when a two tuner receiver would really help in my house. Also, I wish DISH wouldn't release bug ridden receivers or at least since they do, they would be prompt to fixing them. So If I were you I would just shut my mouth before you piss someone off. You got that? I am not the only one that has seem DISH turn sour in the last year or so. I am voicing my opinion. Other than those issues I have nothing else against DISH network. Besides, DISH already raised their rates despite this, so don't even go there.

I guess I'm glad that Echostar is standing up against Viacom, but I still don't really think of Viacom as the "Evil Empire" or even one of them. What exactly are they standing up against? What exactly is Viacom's "sinister" motive? To me Disney/ESPN has been far more abusive and needs to be stood up far more than Viacom. They are overpaying for sports contracts and then passing on the exessive costs which a true free market would never bare on to the cable/dbs customer. This is what is keeping the spiraling player salaries skyrocketing.

Neutron said:
You sir have no reason to be bashing me. I am just looking out for my tv INVESTMENT. I really have nothing bad against DISH except for this little fiasco that would cost channels, and the fact that they haven't released the 322/522 to existing customers when a two tuner receiver would really help in my house. Also, I wish DISH wouldn't release bug ridden receivers or at least since they do, they would be prompt to fixing them. So If I were you I would just shut my mouth before you piss someone off. You got that? I am not the only one that has seem DISH turn sour in the last year or so. I am voicing my opinion. Other than those issues I have nothing else against DISH network. Besides, DISH already raised their rates despite this, so don't even go there.

You may have every reason in the world to be pissed.

But chasing every thread to post your redundant, tiresome, whiney comments gets old. Go the the D* forum, change your subscription, whatever. Complaining day after day doesnt add to the discussion in a meaningful way IMO. When you post a single sentence "I blame dish for this ..." re: Viacom, its obviously meant to inFLAME. Like I said- if he caves and accepts the offer and raises rates, you will complain. If he holds out and tries to battle it, you will complain. But the point is you post two negative replies to the subject WHEN NOTHING HAS HAPPENED YET! Leaving dish because they are negotiating with viacom? You demonstrate your intellect with that comment.

Bottom line is you will never be satisfied and your best bet is to GO TO ANOTHER PROVIDER if E* is so bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts