VIATALK and VIP622?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dahauss

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
I just got viatalk and needed to get my DISH VIP622 hooked up to a phone line so I dont get the extra $5 per month charge. I bought one of those RCA wireless phone jacks that say you can use it for DVRs etc. I also set up the VIP622 with the *99# prefix. The unit dials out but then doesnt connect and I get an error. Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks...

-- Dave

I would do that but I currently dont have a way until I can find a resonable prices Ethernet to wireless bridge. DO you know where to get one cheap? All of the ones I have seen are around $100 .... I need to use this type of config because I can not run a cable due to the location of where my internet is and where the vip 622 is....

I also tried the wireless phone jack route when I got a tivo but had the same problem - don't know if it was my phone lines or what ( someone told me the wireless phone jacks are very problematic ) but when I ran a line accross the room from the same jack to the tivo it worked fine so I took back the wireless and ran hard line around the room and its been fine ever since.

I would do that but I currently dont have a way until I can find a resonable prices Ethernet to wireless bridge. DO you know where to get one cheap? All of the ones I have seen are around $100 .... I need to use this type of config because I can not run a cable due to the location of where my internet is and where the vip 622 is....

Take that wireless phone jack back and get you a homeplug for you online connection. The 622 has homeplug built in so you only need 1 unit.

I bought a modem quality phone jack but it seems not to work. ALso I cant use the home plug since I think It needs to be plugged into a wall power outlet and NOT a surge protector on either end and I can not do that.... I need a wired to wireless bridge..

Your trying to do voip AND a wireless phone jack, both are known to have issues by themselves. Does it work if you run a long cord directly to the voip adapter?

When I used to have ViaTalk, the only way I got my 622 to dial out was by using the *99# thing. Even that was totally hit or miss though. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't. I never had any problems with my 622 over Vonage when using *99, and now that I have AT&T CallVantage it works 100% of the time without dialing any prefix codes or doing anything else special.

VOIP is generally optimized for voice transmissions. The codecs aren't meant to handle data transmissions. Some VOIP providers have G4 codecs that can handle data transmissions.

Well I can send faxes perfectly with VIATALK so I wonder if it has to do with the wireless phone jack even though it says it can handle data.. it does do caller ID and everything on the 622. anyway, does anyone know where to get an inexpensive ethernet to wireless bridge?

Thanks..

I just got viatalk and needed to get my DISH VIP622 hooked up to a phone line so I dont get the extra $5 per month charge.
As a test, try a long phone cord from the ViaTalk adapter to your ViP622. I've not had any luck with simple modems over VOIP. I have a Linksys PAP2 SIP adapter.

I suspect that my problem has something to do with Comcast's very intrusive QoS policies.

I will try that. I can send a fax fine but the fax machine is wired directly into the VIATALK adaptor and not through the wireless phone jack.

Does anyone know an inexpensive ethernet to wireless adaptor? I see some for sale but around $100 ... has to be something cheaper....

Does

Does this unit need to be plugged directly into the wall? If it does, then it will not work for me as I have surge protectors on every outlet where my network is and where the 622 is...

Really what I need is a wired ethernet to wireless 54G bridge... But I cant find one for less then $100....

It does need to be plugged in, as it's a powerline adapter. ;)

I have the exact same setup. I run my HD DVD (and eventually my Blu-Ray) players into those Airlink adapters, too via a cheap $20 Ethernet switch. The Airlinks are only competitive when they're on sale. There was that $17 per unit (You need two!) sale around Black Friday last year. They are usually on sale for $35 each once a quarter.

Wireless is good for laptops. IMHO, stationary stuff (Dish receivers, media players/extenders, high definition optical media players, etc.) should look into powerline, as it's much more stable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)