Video connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulyme

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
New Jersey
Hi can someone tell me what connection should give the best PQ between an HDTV monitor and a progrsesive scan DVD player? S video or component (composite)?
Thanks
Pauly :usa

Progressive-scan output is only available on component (or DVI/HDMI) outputs.

Video quality for the various types of outputs increases in the following order.
RF antenna
Composite video (yellow RCA)
S-Video
Component Video (interlaced)
Component Video (progressive- scan)
Component Video (broadband/HDTV)
DVI/HDMI

K R Kimmel said:
Progressive-scan output is only available on component (or DVI/HDMI) outputs.

Video quality for the various types of outputs increases in the following order.
RF antenna
Composite video (yellow RCA)
S-Video
Component Video (interlaced)
Component Video (progressive- scan)
Component Video (broadband/HDTV)
DVI/HDMI
:)
Just to be sure the component wires are the set of three

green Y
blue Pb
Red Pr

Is that correct?

Thanks,
Pauly

paulyme said:
:)
Just to be sure the component wires are the set of three

green Y
blue Pb
Red Pr

Is that correct?

Thanks,
Pauly
Yes, component video uses 3 cables and the color coding you listed is the industry standard.

Of course you could use a different color coding if you wanted to. Just make sure the same cable goes from the Y output to the Y input, Pr to Pr and Pb to Pb. :D

I for one have found the component connection looks much better than the DVI on my PT50LC13. But I do have a question, my DVI cable has a row of pins, then a break, then another row of pins and then the bigger solid pin. I saw a DVI cable at WalMart ($29.00)with no break between the pins, is this a better cable?

rkr0923 said:
I for one have found the component connection looks much better than the DVI on my PT50LC13.
Interesting. Most comments from FPD owners that I've seen favor the DVI over HD-Component connections. Have you calibrated your set with AVIA or DVE?

rkr0923 said:
But I do have a question, my DVI cable has a row of pins, then a break, then another row of pins and then the bigger solid pin. I saw a DVI cable at WalMart ($29.00)with no break between the pins, is this a better cable?
The difference you describe sounds like a DVI Single Link cable vs. a DVI Dual Link cable see this page for illustrations of the various types of DVI cables/connectors) A Dual Link cable has twice the bandwidth of a Single Link cable. You can use a Dual Link cable but a Single Link cable has more than enough bandwidth to carry a HD signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts